Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am looking at doing some bowfishing this year. I plan on getting a recurve bow as I already have a compound for hunting. Any suggestions on reel/spool kits, arrows? Have you been shooting off boat, or were you able to find some ditches or shallow water? I have not looked into much about hardware, but based on your picture am I correct to assume that the spool screws into place where the bow stabilizer would be? Lots of questions but I am very interested.

There are a couple places I want to try out by Grand Marais area and St. Laurent. I have seen lots of carp, just need to get set up.

Nice fish too! I have been taking any carp I catch this year and using the meat our dogs. Can't hurt to get rid of a few!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I spent about $25 for a spool, line and arrow. It does the job if you don't mind pulling them in by hand and rewinding your spool between shots. It would work from the boat or shore, and I've just been using my hunting bow. Just remember to aim low. The deeper they are, the lower you need to aim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any issues with the whisker biscuit wearing down? I was reading and some guys had this issue. This seems like it might be from pretty heavy use, which for me is unlikely. I plan on going bowfishing, but not too often. What bow are you shooting there btw? Couldn't help but notice it was a Bear... I've got a Bear Effect.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've noticed some wear on the whisker biscuit. I'm not sure if it's the fish arrow exclusively, as it's a few years and hundreds of shots old, but I'd definitely consider a dedicated rest for it. The bow is a bear charge. Not the highest end, but I'd feel comfortable taking any North American game with it and I get nice tight groupings, even with the broken peep sight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts