Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some tricks, baits and/ or lures you guys use for winter smallmouth. Going to give it a shot this weekend but have never fished them in the winter. Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
this would be good.

I am going to a tourney this weekend up north and the lake its on has smallies as well. Maybe ill drop a few artificial creatures down the hold for fun to see if I can attract any.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I have had my best luck with Jigging Raps (the shad one that's shorter and fatter), and smaller tube jigs... Hair jigs have produced for me but not as good as the raps or tubes... Chartuese/white in the raps, and a 3" Berkley powertube in smoke has been my top producer in open and hard water... Always wanted to try senko's through the ice, just haven't got around to it yet!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had my best luck with Jigging Raps (the shad one that's shorter and fatter), and smaller tube jigs... Hair jigs have produced for me but not as good as the raps or tubes... Chartuese/white in the raps, and a 3" Berkley powertube in smoke has been my top producer in open and hard water... Always wanted to try senko's through the ice, just haven't got around to it yet!!!
X 2 All the smallmouths I have caught thru the ice have been incidental to lake trout fishing in "shallower" waters 20-25 fow off points or between islands on LOTW. They seem to like the tube jigs and hair jigs just fine mostly in white.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As Patty mentioned, smoke is one of my favorites. Camo and pumpkinseed are close seconds. Look for reefs and fish the drop offs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts