Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out in the Pine Falls area on Saturday hoping to get into some white bass but no luck. However, we did notice a couple white bass caught by some other people while we were there, so they are slowly making their way in.

Also stopped in at McArthur Falls where we noticed some people catching small northern pikes and perch but we did not end up wetting the lines ourselves.

Lastly we stopped in on the Red before getting back in the city to catch a few goldeye. Managed 10 between the 3 of us in about an hour.

Hopefully the white bass fishing picks up as I haven't targeted them in a couple years and as I remember, they put up a great fight. Anyone else have any reports on white bass this season so far?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was out on Saturday/Sunday with a couple of friends at a favorite spot. Between the 3 of us, easy 200 white bass caught, most of them in the 13-15" range although we did catch a few over the 17" mark. They're out there, just need to find them.
Wow, that's awesome! I've never hit them that hard before but I'm not a seasoned angler. Were you fishing on the shore as well? I know most will not share locations but any tips on what to look for and baits would be appreciated. We were using twister tails (white and yellow with 1/4 oz jig head) and shad like crank baits.

Also, is it just me or are the ticks pretty bad this year? We were in a pretty open area and still managed to find a few stuck on our clothes and tackle boxes. Any repellents that you guys are finding specifically effective?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went out again today to try and find those white bass. Tried multiple locations at pine falls from the dam all the way up towards the mouth but was only able to catch a perch, sauger, and pike; all of which were quite small. I tried a 1/4 oz jig head with multiple plastics, live minnows, inline spinners, and small crank baits. I'm quite disappointed that I haven't been able to catch one yet but I'll keep on trying.

Anybody else with a recent report?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
I went out again on friday, mostly caught walleye, but at least 20 white bass in the mix as well as a couple bullheads. The white bass are there. Jig and a salted minnow. Fished off of my boat and used a fish finder to locate them.

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
I went out again on friday, mostly caught walleye, but at least 20 white bass in the mix as well as a couple bullheads. The white bass are there. Jig and a salted minnow. Fished off of my boat and used a fish finder to locate them.

Much easier for you as you have a finder and a Boat guy on Shore Much different Story...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a feeling that you were on a boat. I've tried as many areas as possible (in the Pinefalls area) using google maps to find shore access but I'm thinking that those bass have been in deeper waters due to the colder weather we had last week. Hopefully with this stretch of nicer weather, they'll come up shallower and closer to shore. Hoping to give it another shot tomorrow or Saturday.

If I don't have any luck at Pinefalls again, I was thinking of making the drive further north to Manigotagan. I've read about many guys on boats fishing there but nothing really from the bank. Anyone have any tips on fishing this area (especially from shore)?
A friend of mine told me about his experience in this area before and he mentioned that he was approached by somebody while bank fishing to pay for parking his car out there. He wasn't sure if this was a legit thing or not as the person asking him to pay didn't appear very official (sweat pants and a t-shirt); however, he did end up paying as he didn't want any trouble. Anyone know if this is normal or where I should park if heading out there? I don't mind paying for parking; I just don't want to get scammed and end up paying multiple people for parking.

Thanks for all the input so far guys!! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup! Some people will approach you in there to pay a fee to fish in Manigatogan and Black River. I'm not sure if it's legit though, but does not look like it. If you don't pay though they will ask you to leave.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Surprised they didn't send their friends to get in on the pay day as well. It's a tough situation, if you say no that you won't pay, then they could come back with their friends and the situation could get a lot worse for you. If you pay, then you could be attracting more low lives who want a quick buck through intimidation. Probably best not to fish there to begin with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like paying for the parking at the launch is pretty legitimate as you're paying inside the building but there are likely some trouble makers asking for a fee as well. Having a boat would likely make this much easier as you wouldn't have to deal with anybody approaching you while fishing.

Anyways I'm hoping that fishing picks up for me in the pinefalls area so I won't have to go further north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
We got some success from shore yesterday near the old paper mill in Pine Falls. We caught our walleye limit in 2 hours. No white bass close to shore yet though.
Just remember that the limit for walleye at Pine Falls is 4, not 6. Almost everyone we talked to last year thought it was 6. COs could have written a lot of tickets at the boat launch.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Surprised they didn't send their friends to get in on the pay day as well. It's a tough situation, if you say no that you won't pay, then they could come back with their friends and the situation could get a lot worse for you. If you pay, then you could be attracting more low lives who want a quick buck through intimidation. Probably best not to fish there to begin with.
I say let them bring trouble... I'd pay a launch fee at the office. Some scumbag in sweat pants wants to try and extort money out of me... well he can try to beat it out of me. If your really worried, I think it would be legitimate to have a can or two of bear spray in that area...

But if your looking to avoid all trouble, I suppose it's best to just not fish there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts