Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that with circle hooks, you would let the the catfish hook themselves and NOT set the hook.

Other hooks, like octopus hooks, you have to set the hook. Having said that,you could set the hook on circles, and not on other hooks. Any tips on improving hookup percentage?

G

·
I use a hybrid hook. It is called an offset octopus circle hook. In most cases this hook pretty much sets itself. And when you do have to set it you do not have to set it hard specially if you get some that are chemically sharpened. I use 7/0 or 8/0 hooks for catfish.

Locally these hooks are hard to find. FishmanMB sells them but I believe is currently out of stock. Try basspro online.

This is what they look like.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I got some of those hooks when he cleared some out a few years back. THANKS

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I have been using gamakatsu octopus hooks for many years now. in sizes 3/0 - 8/0 depending on season, bait choice, and current. They are not a true circle hooks as the hook point is exposed. A circle hook has the hook point protected by the shank and eye.

Personally I find the octopus hooks work great for any situation. I catch a lot of cats that don't always grab the bait and run away from you. In these situations you need to take up the slack and set the hook. Circles really don't perform well when that happens. Many of the cats that we put in the boat are hooked in the top or bottom on the mouth rather than the corners. true circle hooks don't usually catch these fish. When the fish is hooked up however a circle hook will keep the fish buttons up with little to no chance of loosing it. There are positives and negatives to each hook but over many years I have found the better choice overall is to have the hook point exposed. To each their own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts