Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to post this since it can be used in the summer and winter lol and figured its best to ask the people who use it for ice fishing which is what I'll mostly be doing

Just purchased a 550F sled and am looking for a quad to go along with it since our winters are so hard to predict.

Narrowed it down to two options - Kodiak/Grizzly or a Sportsman
Looking at a 07 500 sportsman HO tonight and hopefully a 05 Kodiak 450 within the next few days.

My question is what ATV do you us for ice fishing and your experience with them?

Couple buddies swear by Yamaha but have also heard the same on the sportsman.

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
316 Posts
We got a 03 and 06 kodiak 450. Both have been bulletproof. Electric locking diffs are amazing. 450cc is enough power for anything sensible you want to do.

That said a friend had a Polaris 500HO and the ride was smoother then mine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a Yamaha big bear 350 and have not yet had any issues with it. Oh did I mention it is a 1994. I don't use it a lot for ice fishing, maybe the first little bit when there is not a lot of snow cover on the lakes. My buddy has a Sportsman and said he wished he had bought a Yamaha or a Honda. I would recommend the Yamaha in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My quad of choice is honda I have a 05 Rubicon 500 with tracks works great.

Reactions: Dan_Ham

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Yamaha/Honda are the winners so far.

Should also mention I will most likely be riding 2up when ice fishing or would like to have that option. I rode 2up on my buddies 450 last year and it seems pretty stable but I have read/heard some stories of quads flipping backwards due to riding 2up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks like Yamaha/Honda are the winners so far.

Should also mention I will most likely be riding 2up when ice fishing or would like to have that option. I rode 2up on my buddies 450 last year and it seems pretty stable but I have read/heard some stories of quads flipping backwards due to riding 2up.
I have a 09 Polaris 850 XP,cant go wrong with the power but the above mentioned quads will be fine unless you want tracks,then a big bore is what your looking for,did you get the Expedition?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Flipping backwards never even come close to doing that even with the tires on,unless your your trying to climb some incredible incline(then thats just a given).Utilize the front rack for supplies and you will be all good.Only time I've seen quads wanting to flip backwards is when someone is sitting on the back rack with there legs hanging off the back now you have to much weight behind the rear axle

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
riley234 - I didn't get the expedition this time around but when a new sled is in the picture I don't think I will need to look any further! Almost pulled the trigger to be honest.

Had a budget and figured having a quad and a sled was the best bet. Found a 2003 Skidoo Grand Touring 550F 2up for $2000.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have a 09 Polaris 850 XP,cant go wrong with the power but the above mentioned quads will be fine unless you want tracks,then a big bore is what your looking for,did you get the Expedition?
With the all the new tracks that are out now a days even 500's are good with tracks. I've got a set of E TRACKS with a 15" foot print on the rear and a 12" on the front works fine they roll on the garage floor with ease you don't have to push them when not on the bike.But I will agree if you get some of the older tracks they do need more horse power to move them

·
Registered
116 Posts
riley234 - I didn't get the expedition this time around but when a new sled is in the picture I don't think I will need to look any further! Almost pulled the trigger to be honest.

Had a budget and figured having a quad and a sled was the best bet. Found a 2003 Skidoo Grand Touring 550F 2up for $2000.
That will work too!!! Get a big bore quad,mine rides like a caddy and has the power,you wont be disappointed,now the last piece of the puzzle is a enclosed trailer to protect your new toys!:eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the all the new tracks that are out now a days even 500's are good with tracks. I've got a set of E TRACKS with a 15" foot print on the rear and a 12" on the front works fine they roll on the garage floor with ease you don't have to push them when not on the bike.But I will agree if you get some of the older tracks they do need more horse power to move them
A quad with tracks,just looks cool,LOL,the price tag has kept me from buying the set I want,one day I will get a set but settled on new rims and "ripsaw"tires for now.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Do a web search on reliability and such if that is a concern for you.
I have had a bunch-o-quads over the years, started with Polaris, then Suzuki, now Grizzly's.
Fact is I have spent less on repairs with the two grizzly 700's I have than anything else I have owned. They may not be the fastest, or most powerful, or have knick-knack gadgets, but they work, day in day out - no problem with tracks whatsoever, and zero issues in the winter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trailer yes! as long as I don't go over on the quad budget haha luckily I have a family cottage in Matlock I can use as home base so little to no travel is needed if I stay on LW.

A quad with tracks was a consideration as well but was concerned with the cold starting of a quad on them chilly days we can have. Heard the tracks ice up pretty good and if you don't have a heated garage you may spend sometime chiseling away after each use.

Have been doing a bunch of reading over the last couple months and this confirms what I was thinking, should not have second guessed myself - Yamaha it is!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yamaha is a good choice,hopefully we get lots of snow so you can use your sled more than a quad,at the end of the day,"any" quad that starts in -30 and gets you where you need to go is better than walking!!!!

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Do a web search on reliability and such if that is a concern for you.
I have had a bunch-o-quads over the years, started with Polaris, then Suzuki, now Grizzly's.
Fact is I have spent less on repairs with the two grizzly 700's I have than anything else I have owned. They may not be the fastest, or most powerful, or have knick-knack gadgets, but they work, day in day out - no problem with tracks whatsoever, and zero issues in the winter.

Agree 100%. In the ten years I've had my bigbear I've only replaced the front drive shaft u-joints, battery, tires, and just lately the starter clutch.
I've always had a blade on it. It's been my only method of snow removal for all those years. 4:30 AM -35 -40... Parked outside, fired right up to clean the motel/cafe parking lot. I still pull a 5' length of railway around my yard to keep my driveway pothole free. It's a workhorse and it delivers. Id buy a newer grizzly if I had to upgrade in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I have a sportsman 700... I like it and it has been good to me so far... Yamaha makes a top quality product as well!!!

Chrism pointed out he has spent less money on his Grizzlies than any other, and Chris keeps his stuff maintained!!! That's the thing though, you may get someone who says that they had an arctic scrap 700 and it was garbage, yet if they would have maintained it better it likely would have treated them better...

Tracks aren't invisible either... When you get stuck your stuck!!! Maybe it was operator error eh Chris???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts