Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

601 - 619 of 619 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure it's already been asked here somewhere but 50 pages is a lot of reading.

How deep do you consider deep? This is the first year I've really fished Lake Winnipeg consistently. Our usual routine is start around 6-8 feet deep and work our way out deeper later in the day 12-13feet, move back in for sunset bite.

Last weekend we moved out to 13feet around 10 in morning. Met a couple guys who were just about to move out to their "deep"
This got me wondering how deep is deep enough?
Hope you're having a great season so far.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
generally most people dont fish deeper than 16ft. 12-14 is mid depth for me. Best season in a few years for most guys

·
Administrator
5,017 Posts
Ever find that shallow is better in the afternoon? I my self, have always had my most successful days on the lake when i fish 12 to 15ish in the am then around 11 move to shallower water, usually 6 to 8, then back to 12 to 15ish again around 330 4 ish till sundown.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
They are where they is. I believe the fish dont move that much shallow to deep. I think different pods of fish bite at different times of the day. Depends if it is sunny or cloudy as well.

·
Administrator
5,017 Posts
ive noticed that to. I find that if your on clear ice (when there is not much snow) the bite is better then is your on rough,frazzle, or white ice. As for the deep to shallow, thats just something ive found to be lucky for me. About 5 years ago i managed 3 MA's within one hour with only around 3 fow under the ice. I think it also has something to do with the temp. When there has been a long deep freeze i find deeper more productive, and when its been mild for a longer stretch shallow to be better. Same for in the fall. I remember a few years ago we were out by eom and had crappy luck so we moved down into netley for slitz and giggles to try for pike, and started slamming walleye like crazy in 4 1/2 fow.

Guess you can compare it to whitetail hunting though, somedays then move, somedays they dont,

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
They are where they is. I believe the fish dont move that much shallow to deep. I think different pods of fish bite at different times of the day. Depends if it is sunny or cloudy as well.
That's some solid logic.

To me, it's always been about finding "fresh" fish. ie- fish that havent been exposed to angling or noise recently, but most importantly, "fresh" fish in a positive mood that are following bait.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
That's some solid logic.

To me, it's always been about finding "fresh" fish. ie- fish that havent been exposed to angling or noise recently, but most importantly, "fresh" fish in a positive mood that are following bait.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I will always try to setup where I figure the fish haven't been presented with anything I'm planning on offering em.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
generally it will be small blips in the mid depth range. Sometimes they will only flash for a second or 2. If there is lots of bait it may look like the flasher has gone wacky. Always Fish the suspended marks, they can be fish.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
generally it will be small blips in the mid depth range. Sometimes they will only flash for a second or 2. If there is lots of bait it may look like the flasher has gone wacky. Always Fish the suspended marks, they can be fish.
... or as I've learned through Tinmans advice use the 597 in Sonar mode and you won't miss that suspended fish because you blinked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Lee, When u r using your crank baits do u tie to the bait or use a snapand with these new Rattle Stix do u use bait on them? Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Which side of lake wpg are you going to be concentrating on fishing for the rest of the season Lee?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi Lee, just wondering if you have been out Balsam way lately and if so what depth would you start at? I've been out a couple times now and haven't had much luck. We were usually 18'fow and deeper.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do you find with more and more traffic ,noise ,quads ,and drilling .that the fish become skiddish and stay away from these pressured areas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW we ice fishers are a strange bunch, last year was the RJ Wonder Bread pattern spoon, couple years ago the Live Target golden shiner, then the Live Target Baitball, this year it is the Xstream tackle spoons and the Bait cloud. The things we can find to spend our hard earned cash on, I am just as guilty as most people if not more so but lately going old school, 3/8 orange jig tipped with a salty and doing just as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bait cloud and chump puck are a waste of money. I see the fishing melitia (whoever that is) constantly plugging their product. Actually lol’d at the latest one. Guy swears they’re the ticket at pine falls! Like you can catch walleye on bare jigs this time of year!

·
Registered
667 Posts
WOW we ice fishers are a strange bunch, last year was the RJ Wonder Bread pattern spoon, couple years ago the Live Target golden shiner, then the Live Target Baitball, this year it is the Xstream tackle spoons and the Bait cloud. The things we can find to spend our hard earned cash on, I am just as guilty as most people if not more so but lately going old school, 3/8 orange jig tipped with a salty and doing just as well.
I still have Lindy Darters I use regularly. Get my best results on their red one. Anything tipped with a salty head tends to catch if the fish are there

I tried them casting a few times. Not their forte at all. The shelf on the head of other lipless seems to make a huge difference.

601 - 619 of 619 Posts