Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

581 - 600 of 619 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
east side and 13-15ft. from the top. Dont know anyone that has been knocking them dead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok I'm a total noob to fishing around here. And yes I only just joined this site so I haven't had time to browse the numerous posts... so here is my noob question: what kind of bait, line and or lures should I be looking at for Walleye (or anything else) on the Red let's say north of Selkirk. I do have a boat, chim chim cherrie. Thanks, I asked ;o)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Summer and fall on lake Winnipeg

Hello I have been fishing lake Winnipeg and it's rivers for almost 50 years and have had great success in all seasons however I still have a hard time finding walleye in the summer and fall except for small ones in rivers such as rice,hollow water washow bay.
Does anyone have any tips
I plan to spend many days this summer around the islands in front of rice river has anyone had success in the area

·
Banned
1,849 Posts
Im just trying to find out how far east down this dirt road you can easily drive. Not sure if some of it is only passable when frozen. Mainly, are you able to drive as far as the second "bridge" if it is a bridge... any info would help!!! thanks!!
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Winn...67,-95.8090321,262m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!1m0
That's a turkey trail, I remember hunting it years and years ago. Nice trail to drive down with a real truck. If it's the same trail I remember, a lot of places are very soft, and there are a lot of water crossings. Tons of wildlife in there but we mostly went for the prairie chickens. At the time it was a pretty popular spot and prolly still is.
Did you ever end up exploring it? This post is pretty old and I saw nobody replied

·
Registered
80 Posts
Crappie ice fishing.

Also, doing it in Mary Jane reservoir haha. I'm a first timer at it and definitely wouldn't mind a tip or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Hello Lee, not sure why no one has posted to your page here this winter, but what are your thoughts on lack of snow on the lake this year, do the fish try and hide under what snow cover there is as opposed to sunning themselves under the clear ice, thanks in advance for your thoughts on this, hopefully see you soon out on the ice.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
I have noticed that this year the fishing is a lot better on the flat clear ice vs the frazzle ice. I think this may be because of light penatration making the plankton more mobile which attracts the bait fish which, you get the idea. From a practical point even on flat ice I fish the snow patches because I dont want to wipe out on clear ice.

See you out there this weekend!

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
On that note--- do you find the bite a little more aggessive on sunny mornings, as opposed to overcast?

In my experience I think I'd rather fish sunny days on Lk Peggy. Don't think I've ever had a good day in low cloud/foggy days.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Hook size? Smaller or larger?

I was using a 'Freedom / Chartreuse silver' 1/4 oz spoon and it was the only thing getting any attention. It's got small treble hooks.

Lee, I'm guessing that some of the 3/8 oz jigs have to big a hook, or is it about the wait ... to heavy to hard for the fish to suck in?

P.S. Have you tried the 'Freedom' flutter spoon yet?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
I have found that some of the lures come with either cheap hooks or ones that I feel are to small. I often change them out for hooks I feel are better suited for our conditions and size of fish. I havent tried the freedom spoon yet. I have been doing well on spoons this year though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Lee, hope your having a great season. I'm interested in your favorite large spoons this year, could you point me in a good direction for brand and size. I already have the sterns flutter spoons- looking for bigger. Thank you in advance!

581 - 600 of 619 Posts