Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a few of these throughout the summer months last year, was not sure whether these are just baby suckers, or something else? Was hard for me to tell.

The mouth did not seem to be a sucker mouth, they had more forward facing mouths, almost as if they were some type of herring, tulibee, or whitefish. Just thinking far out there, haha.

They were also more silver, like almost shiny, compared to a sucker.

They were probably just suckers but the mouth was giving me some doubts.

All the ones I caught were small, never exceeding about 6-7 inches.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Yeah I was torn between flathead and silver. I went with silver because of the head seems sort of square shaped, whereas the flathead chub seems to be more sharply pointed... but that's just based on pictures. The biologist will make a positive ID probably.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just to throw some gas on this one...

Silver Chub do get over 20cm in length. It is difficult to tell from the picture just how 'flat' the head is - to me, once you a have a Flathead Chub in hand - all you can say is "Wow, that is a very flat head!"

Derek

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just to throw some gas on this one... Silver Chub do get over 20cm in length. It is difficult to tell from the picture just how 'flat' the head is - to me, once you a have a Flathead Chub in hand - all you can say is "Wow, that is a very flat head!" Derek
Ya, the picture isn't the best, but it looks like a flathead from what I can see of the mouth tucked way under, and the smaller eye. The silver chubs have larger eyes than that, at least in my experience. And they usually seem wider in the body, too. They both cut into cat bait the same way, so it's all good. A better or closer picture would probably be necessary to tell for sure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the help guys.

Now I know that these are just flathead or silver chubs I'm catching and not young of a larger species.

Thanks Shoreteam as well for the cat bait advice.

This was the only picture I bothered to take of the chubs last summer, so sorry about not having the best quality picture.

Regardless, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts