Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
So I am not going to get all fancy here. I read this and then avoided it for a few while I tried to come up with something clever. To be honest there is nothing clever about it just some good old common since and some flashy new toys.

Nuts and Bolts
Are website is built on new and safer technology.
Designed to compete with newer easier to navigate web 2.0 standards.
New Toys and Features added all the time.

Interaction
This community will focus on more community interaction. Contests, outings, etc. Our first contest is already running and we are already quietly contemplating a MFF outing.

The Staff
I really think this is our biggest advantage. Our staff is interactive pretty much always around. Easy to get a hold of. And do to that when the BS rolls in it can be handled quickly before it gets out of control. With that being said other sites have gone to the extreme one way or the other. One forum lets it get so bad it hits 12 pages before a moderator even knows what is going on. On another forum any opinion on a matter that may be controversy is deleted. We like to think we are some where in the middle. This is a forum not a kids playground so people are going to have strong opinions and we are cool with that. I argue all the time with some of my best friends on opinion based topics. This is part of human interaction. And you probably will not see us step into the great debate until it becomes personal or stats to attack individuals. That is the one thing we will not tolerate. If you think permi's should be banned that is your opinion and feel free to express why but if you call the guy an ass hole for using one. We are going to step in. Mainly no slander, no racism, no personal shots at people. And we will all get along just fine.

That is really it. Nothing glamorous.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish you all the best and thanks for taking the time to share your goals and ideas. I hope this place becomes an active site full of content and a good sense of community with real friendships amongst the members. That's what keeps people coming back. Big drama helps as well - given why MB Anglers is so well traveled.

Unfortunately, the way things appear to be going on the interwebz, it's going to be a daunting task to surpass or even attain the activity of the other sites in their glory days; and possibly even as they are now. I hope that's not the case since I enjoy almost everything about fishing forums.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Full disclosure... I run (with 3 others) a fishing forum in Manitoba, started by another Manitoban in or around 2006. What I say here is my opinion, and not that of anyone from the forum I'm part of running, or the forum itself.

I remember saying to a friend in 2009 that I thought forums might be jumping the shark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark). Today I'm convinced.

For the first few years forums were around, they exposed people to a fascinating new social dynamic. A way to get information, to not feel alone, to make new friends, to brag... whatever. And they worked very well, creating very real communities. And the cool factor was undeniable.

So what's happening, or what happened? I believe for some the novelty has simply worn off. Other I know began to feel that openly sharing information was counter productive (ask anyone that used to appreciate Rush Bay or Ptarmigan before everyone and their dog knew about it). And maybe most of all, anonymity... which along with it brought essentially zero accountability. People, for whatever reason, can opt to be total sociopaths without jeopardizing their lives or livelihoods. That gets old really quickly unless you're happy to be a passive spectator or mischievous agitator in the never-ending train wrecks that anonymity gives license for.

Now I still use forums. I am a member of a photography forum, numerous fishing forums, and a couple of automotive forums. But for all but maybe save one, they're not communities to me. Not anymore. I go there really if I'm looking for specific information (e.g. "What's the best rain gear you've used?" Or, "My car is showing a P1033 trouble code, any advice?"). I'll lurk most forums just to see what people are saying over a sandwich, and on at least one forum, sometimes look for a chance to be a pot-stirrer.

And of course there's the advent of the "real" web 2.0, like Facebook/Google+ and to a lesser extent Twitter, which are really examples of social interaction that place accountability over anonymity, along with real choices on who we choose to share information with, and when.

The landscape has simply changed. It's not bad or good, it's just different.

This is a great looking forum, and it's GREAT (truly) great to see people with a genuine passion for a passtime(in this case fishing) and a desire to share with others. But what does it offer over more than five other Manitoba or regional fishing boards, or boards before them? Nothing, in my view, of any relevance at all.

But that's just my opinion, and ultimately, as I told one of the mods here a little while ago (who asked me to advertise this forum on our fishing forum): if there's really something of value and it's really something that can't be found elsewhere, a strong and large community will come easily. There is however nothing I see special happening here.

But for most people I suspect this forum will likely fall into the "been there, done that." category. Honest question: why wouldn't you (we, us) just hook up on Facebook, and connect not just with everyone here (I'm pretty sure I'm friends with virtually everyone on this forum on facebook already) and on TOP of that people from around the world?

Maybe you remember people frantically snapping up Great Canadian Bagel franchises even while they were shuttering bagel stores just down the street back in the nineties? They were six years late to the party.

Interesting piece on the subject of declining forums (it's a world-wide occurrence)that ran in the NY Times last month: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...e-of-message-boards-past/?nl=opinion&emc=tya1

This forum looks good but I believe ultimately it will disappear and be soon forgotten.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
hopefully we can voice our opinions and not get banned for minor little things

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I've had the opportunity to meet a few of the moderators on here and a few I've seen their posts on other forums and from what I've seen in the past, I think we have a great group of moderators, down to earth and real people.....good luck guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts