Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Hope your all well. I'm planing a trip Thursday for me and my girlfriend. She never been fishing before and is love to get her hooked. She would make a great skipper lol. Anyway. My plan was to go to west hawk, but after ALOT of googling this might not be best. I've never been anywhere in the whiteshell and from what I found its hard fishing there. Being just ice-out only adds to that. A day of getting skunked and sitting in the boat is by all means no way to introduce someone to fishing, and getting them excited to want to go again.

I'd love some trout or splake but ill settle for just about anything on this trip. It's still a bit early for walleye and Id like something new. Bass and crappie are fun for a first timer. Any tips on where to go would be wonderful. I'd really appreciate it. Trying to google I don't find much, just guide, lodge, and outfitter stuff.

Thanx :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Walleye bite is on in most of the lakes that have rivers flowing into them. I've heard Big white, lone island, jessica producing in the mouth of the rivers. Limits being caught.

Just jig or troll

·
Banned
1,849 Posts
Walleye bite is on in most of the lakes that have rivers flowing into them. I've heard Big white, lone island, jessica producing in the mouth of the rivers. Limits being caught.

Just jig or troll
Agreed with the above lakes and will add Brereton Lake, go into the river on the lake and catch walleye all day. See Greg Ftoma at Brereton Lake Lodge for a map of the lake and some good spots to fish. While you're there, grab a bite the food is the best in the whiteshell!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Brereton bite slowed down last week it seemed. River was hot wednesday. Thursday we caught 2 only.. thinking they are going to summer spots.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,849 Posts
cheap prices

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
His pricing has come up somewhat. However, it is not out of line with anything else in the area, or in the city for quality food IMO. His portions are still out of this world however. A "kid's small" ice cream bowl will easily feed 2 adults. "Single" sized ice cream bowl is 7 scoops! :eek:
Try the beer-battered fries or onion rings. Also his pizza is killer :-D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was out on Sunday at Lone island in the river system going to big white. No problems getting a limit of eyes, but, getting them in the slot was a little tougher. Must have caught 30+ between 2 of us.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks! I think it's pretty cool we can all share like this. I know what you mean about slot sizes. I head up the red to end of main and hammer greenbacks in fall. It's alot of fun catching 8-15lb walleye but at the end of the day your lucky if you get three for the dinner table.
I kept a big 10lb one for the one large red river eye you can keep a year. But it was a mistake. She tasted awful and had a million eggs in her. I won't keep another like that. Ot was a shame I took her.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Another thing about eating a big fish from a slow growing species...mercury. It's not worth ingesting food that has high concentrations of it since it builds up in animals and over time can be a problem.

I have no qualms about keeping small fish, I just got better at filleting!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well nearly off. Boats nearly packed. Truck is fuelled. Sun is out... Wish us luck I think today it's needed lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The farthest i've been is to Seven Sister's falls and point du bois anyone have any luck there latley?

Jessica sounds like's it do able for a day trip

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to falcon had 1 follow in... Arug. Totally skunked! Only found one school of what I assumed walleye in the side imaging about 100' from the boat. Looped back but couldn't find them again. On the positive side. I got to play with my new humminbird :-D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Whiteshell

Hi,
Where do you launch at Jessica or Breton? At the lodges? Never been to either lake yet. Going next week, what do you use for walleye? jigs, spinners, bottom bouncers, minnows, worms?
Thanks for any info

·
Registered
231 Posts
gessoprincess...try Lyons lake or Hunt Lake. Trout are a great fly fishing start. Fish smallmouth bass and pike waters and hold on! I wouldn't bother with walleye. I've caught a catfish at Lockport on a fly and that's a lot of fun too. You can also hit Devils creek for carp as well. Lots of possibilities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts