Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Shitty cold, had a hell of a time getting my big buddy work, I had even brough my propane tank in for a hour yesterday morning and keeping it in the cab for the drive, we eventully had to put it in the cab of the truck on the floor with a jacket over it for 1.5 hours with heat on floor full blast, that worked, not enjoyable fishing with no heater for 1.5 hours!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I kept my Big Buddy and a full propane tank in the house overnight so everything is nice and warm for this morning's fishing. This AM it ran for 2 min and kept shutting off in the tent. Took the hose off purged it and it was fine after that.
To purge the hose: take the hose off from the heater push the nipple in with something pointy while the propane tank is slightly open. Wear gloves, propane should come out freely once you push the nipple in. It normally works after.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I sat in the heated garage watching the locator, transducer in a pail of water with some live bait in it. Lots of marks, no bites though. Stayed warm and dry. JK, I make no attempt in this weather.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 798Ci HD SI

·
Registered
541 Posts
I sat in the heated garage watching the locator, transducer in a pail of water with some live bait in it. Lots of marks, no bites though. Stayed warm and dry. JK, I make no attempt in this weather.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 798Ci HD SI
...And any bites?? :) Us, a 27.5 and some 20's.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
i find this kind of weather, will just pissed you off rather enjoying outdoors.. you need to pack multiple item as a back up, because I expect something will not work.. never had luck with buddy heater on colder temp like this. I used to pack sunflower style heater.. just a friendly reminder on propane tanks, there's a reason why these are stored outdoors. the moment you put this on heated. the pressure on the tank fluctuates and it will vent, ask me how i know. this happen to me while driving inside the truck and it wasn't fun. luckily it didnt ignite..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thought I'd throw the question in this thread, for a guy that has no truck (the 2007 Honda Civic wont get very far on the ice i bet lol) whats a good spot to walk out on foot hauling the tobogan with gear? I'm kind of a lake Winnipeg noob and I'm worried if i start at the wrong spot ill just be walking forever in below 10 feet of water freezing and failing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thought I'd throw the question in this thread, for a guy that has no truck (the 2007 Honda Civic wont get very far on the ice i bet lol) whats a good spot to walk out on foot hauling the tobogan with gear? I'm kind of a lake Winnipeg noob and I'm worried if i start at the wrong spot ill just be walking forever in below 10 feet of water freezing and failing.
We seen cars on the lake today all the way to the ridge just north of Salamonia Channel,just park off the main trail and you will be ok,although with 5-10 CMS of snow forcast for tomorrow not so sure

·
Registered
52 Posts
We seen cars on the lake today all the way to the ridge just north of Salamonia Channel,just park off the main trail and you will be ok,although with 5-10 CMS of snow forcast for tomorrow not so sure
Thanks Fug, wanted to be sure. When i know i have a day without snowfall and plenty of time i might give it a try.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
@UrbanAngler766, I drive my Explorer on LW with no issues. My advise is go in a caravan just in case you get stuck. Take a tow strap and a long metal shovel as well. The trails are well packed down, but we have more snow in the forecast.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I was u I would go to the yellow brick road boat launch. It’s on the grand beach side of the lake but if u wanna walk it’s a short walk and you are in 20’ of water.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Your advice is to drive his honda civic on LW?
I don't advise anyone to do anything. I'm saying that he probably can with no issues but shouldn't travel without being part of a caravan. Depending on how far you want to travel, some areas are packed down well and with the right tires, it can definitely be driveable. I have no doubts that I could travel with my wife's smaller SUV but I wouldn't risk it solo. To each their own.

On a personal note, I wouldn't drive a Honda Civic anywhere off a well-paved, and maintained highway. I've seen 4-door sedans stuck in areas my SUV had no issue traversing.

I've been really stuck bad trying to get off LW when I was fishing solo before. Several guys tried to help me but it was so deep that everyone was getting stuck including trucks with lift kits. Eventually, we were able to get off by helping each other. If it wasn't for their help, I would have probably spent the night on LW. If you're not prepared for something like this then you reconsider your plan.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't advise anyone to do anything. I'm saying that he probably can with no issues but shouldn't travel without being part of a caravan. Depending on how far you want to travel, some areas are packed down well and with the right tires, it can definitely be driveable. I have no doubts that I could travel with my wife's smaller SUV but I wouldn't risk it solo. To each their own.

On a personal note, I wouldn't drive a Honda Civic anywhere off a well-paved, and maintained highway. I've seen 4-door sedans stuck in areas my SUV had no issue traversing.

I've been really stuck bad trying to get off LW when I was fishing solo before. Several guys tried to help me but it was so deep that everyone was getting stuck including trucks with lift kits. Eventually, we were able to get off by helping each other. If it wasn't for their help, I would have probably spent the night on LW. If you're not prepared for something like this then you reconsider your plan.
from his post it didnt seem like he was ever planning on taking his honda civic out on the lake. He was asking about spots he could walk out to.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Since this is on the thread I started here’s my 2 cents

In the early eighties i pulled out a stuck car on the river. All i had was a chain at the time and told the person there was no where to hook it up to he said no problem he would hook it up. He went under his car and hooked up the chain and I proceeded to pull him out and had to pull him about 30 yards to be clear of the snow when i went under his car to unhook the chain he had hooked it into a hole in his subframe and the hook had tore his frame about 8 inches from the hole he hooked up to.

There is almost nowhere on a car today to hook up a strap without doing damage to the car. I will drive the person off the ice and home if needed and have done so twice on lake w but I will not try to pull them out. I will help anyone out there whos in trouble but there is a point where I will say no. A couple times ive pulled the same person out 3 -4 times already and wont pull them out again. Some people go out so unprepared its sad. No shovels no extra warm clothes not enough gas etc. lake wpg in the winter can be a bitch and bite you hard. Some people learn the hard way before they learn the right way. The lake is no place for a car in my opinion and thats just my opinion

hog

21 - 35 of 35 Posts