Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the west side yesterday and it was fantastic. Caught close to 50 fish between the 2 of us but the problem was scratching out a couple of limits. Almost all the fish we caught were between 21 - 26 inches. The fish sure looked healthy not one had any growths on them

We headed out almost blind in the morning and made it to the pressure ridge out from the sal channel. We fished 17 ft deep and it was steady action all day. There weren’t to many people out there when we got out there but popped the head out of the tent about 3 hrs later and it packed with people. The ridge was growing yesterday with fresh water all around it where we were it looked like the ridge grew about a foot taller so be careful around it. Im sure glad i made a track on my navionics going out because of the snow all day you couldn’t make out the trails to good but was easy following my tracks off and had about 6 trucks follow me off. It was a day to remember

·
Registered
799 Posts
Travelling east from Warner Rd access area is about 2.5 miles as the crow flies to Sal channel. In reality with drifts, cracks, ice ridges there’s usually lots of zigging & zagging so you’ll easily add another 1/2 - 1 mile on your drive. There’s 4 channels and they are going west to east Salamonia, West, Main and East. Chalet Beach Rd access onto the lake is usually not an option. With any type of wind the drifts are extreme. Additionally the local residents are not enthused with people accessing the lake there because of the noise and tons of garbage left by inconsiderate a**holes. When the road gets plowed the snow is usually pushed and piled up so as to block lake access.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As Manitoba Hunter stated with a very accurate description of things.....the access is Warner Road, you start down East Chalet Beach road, then turn North after the tracks, and back East onto Warner road.... they do an awesome job with a plowed parking area and portable washrooms. With the recent snow 4X4's will make the trip following the established trail without getting stuck, until they strike out on their own and get stuck due to drifts etc...... An awesome strategy if you have a tracked vehicle is to park in the awesome Warner area, then head out to the lake to latest hot areas.....Other friends of mine do well by driving to the Sal channel or the mouth of the Red and heading out on foot with their toboggans as they wish to change depths etc ..........good luck out there!!!!!!

Wayne

·
Registered
548 Posts
Was out there today. Most everyone fishing alongside one of the ridges. Only about 7-9fow, which isn't as deep as I'd like to be on Peggy. Drilled a ton of holes and couldn't find more than 9.7 on the Bird. I wasn't comfortable enough driving out into the abyss to find deeper water, so we turned back and headed to EOM. A few sauger but nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Headed back to 'the ridge'. This time went deeper to 15' of water under the ice. Iced a dozen (mostly greens) and lost a few nice ones. They were still interested in the jig and minnow. Spoons and rattle baits were of no luck today. Dead stick was dead as well. They wanted to chase but not too hard or too fast. A few big girls chased almost till under the ice before losing interest. Biggest iced was 24".

·
Registered
541 Posts
Headed back to 'the ridge'. This time went deeper to 15' of water under the ice. Iced a dozen (mostly greens) and lost a few nice ones. They were still interested in the jig and minnow. Spoons and rattle baits were of no luck today. Dead stick was dead as well. They wanted to chase but not too hard or too fast. A few big girls chased almost till under the ice before losing interest. Biggest iced was 24".
Were you by truck at that depth ( 15') ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We caught all of our fish on a jig and live minnows not one fish on the dead stick.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Went back today, but didn't get much fishing done. It was in the -30s and had heater issues. There was a leak that looks like it was from the quick release attachment point that started a small fire inside the heater. When I connected a 1lb tank later I could hear the propane leaking out so didn't play around any longer with it on the ice. It was too cold to concentrate on the fishing and the holes were icing up badly every few minutes even though I was inside the flipover. I did manage a 26.5" and a couple dinks before calling it a day. Of course the foam floor was iced over and it took me an hour to break them the pieces free the ice. Hopefully, the weather improves in the coming days and bite gets better.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I can live with daytime temps in the -20s, it's the -30s and colder is when I find things tend to break or malfunction. Just getting to the lake today was a challenge with my vehicle not liking the cold and it affected starting, controlling the windows, and turn signals.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ya no thanks…temps in mid minus 20’s is not far off the minus 30….and the temp today in wpg beach was minus 25 soooo….

1 - 20 of 35 Posts