Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally don't like fishing weekends but today's light winds were too much of an temptation not to be out there! My son was supposed to join me so I stayed close to home. I got a late start but they were biting right from the start. After a half hour, I didn't catch anything big so I made a move to deeper water. I got on to some bigger fish right away with several 24" and 26". Then I set the hook into a bigger one and landed a 29.5". A short time later, I called my son to come join me, but he was still sleeping in. I then caught a 27", a 27.5" and another 29.5" in the next while. About the crack of noon, he finally called for me to come pick him up at the launch. We caught numerous fish after that with quite a few in the 24-26" range but the bite slowed right down by mid afternoon. I ended the day with 108 Wallies and my son caught 30 for the few hours he made it out. I also dropped 3 other big fish about half way up. There were lots of big marks on the screen almost all day but many were coming through suspended, likely fast moving through the area. I suspect that a good migration of Wallies are coming from the North basin, heading South following the West shore. I caught all on my usual Bubblegum jig and salted shiner. Note that I included a picture to show my jig and how I always rig it with an upside down minnow. Several techniques and jigging cadences were producing at different times throughout the day but short, sharp twitches with long pauses on bottom seemed to work best for bigger fish. Here are some pictures:

Asphalt Sand Landscape Soil Fish
Vertebrate Fin Fish Seafood Salmon-like fish
Food Vertebrate Blue Seafood Fish

·
Registered
389 Posts
I normally don't like fishing weekends but today's light winds were too much of an temptation not to be out there! My son was supposed to join me so I stayed close to home. I got a late start but they were biting right from the start. After a half hour, I didn't catch anything big so I made a move to deeper water. I got on to some bigger fish right away with several 24" and 26". Then I set the hook into a bigger one and landed a 29.5". A short time later, I called my son to come join me, but he was still sleeping in. I then caught a 27", a 27.5" and another 29.5" in the next while. About the crack of noon, he finally called for me to come pick him up at the launch. We caught numerous fish after that with quite a few in the 24-26" range but the bite slowed right down by mid afternoon. I ended the day with 108 Wallies and my son caught 30 for the few hours he made it out. I also dropped 3 other big fish about half way up. There were lots of big marks on the screen almost all day but many were coming through suspended, likely fast moving through the area. I suspect that a good migration of Wallies are coming from the North basin, heading South following the West shore. I caught all on my usual Bubblegum jig and salted shiner. Note that I included a picture to show my jig and how I always rig it with an upside down minnow. Several techniques and jigging cadences were producing at different times throughout the day but short, sharp twitches with long pauses on bottom seemed to work best for bigger fish. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 120905 View attachment 120906 View attachment 120907
and a stinger hook...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Awesome report as always.
When you say long pauses on bottom, do you mean sitting right on bottom or hovering just above bottom?
If it’s right on bottom, the fish just eat it out of the mud or sand?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, I always use a clip on style stinger hook as well as a bait button on the jig hook. It don't think it helps that much with the short biters, but it does help stabilize the minnow to the jig better and keep it more horizontal, especially during a hard snap or flick. Long pauses on bottom for me, mostly consist of letting it sit right on bottom. The bottom is likely stirred up and leaves a trail to follow. I find that Wallies will often slurp it up, right off the bottom, especially when they are being moody.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Great report as always. Notice you are using a braided line and snap swivel right to jig. You feel any effect vs tying to a mono or fluro leader? You catch a ton of fish so I suspect not!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great report as always. Notice you are using a braided line and snap swivel right to jig. You feel any effect vs tying to a mono or fluro leader? You catch a ton of fish so I suspect not!
Thanks! I only use straight braid for Walleye! With thin diameter and zero stretch, you just can't beat the sensitivity. With straight braid, I can confidently fish all day and not have to worry about retying. I tried using mono and fluro leaders, but found the need to retie after a while, or even after a single big fish. The only time I will use a mono or fluro leader is if there are a lot of Pike around or when speed trolling where hard bottom abrasion is an issue. Braid will break ridiculously easy under these conditions but otherwise, I have found it to be incredibly strong and durable. I use a snap swivel because tying direct to my jig, while using the metal clip on style stinger hooks that I prefer to use, is an abrasion contact point. I also think that hard snaps and twitches using the snap swivel also creates somewhat of a rattle effect to the jig. As for visibility, at least on the LW system, I do not notice any difference for catch rates using a mono/ fluro leader over braid.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I prefer the stingers with the red hard rubber or wax deal you hook to jig find the clip ons always give me grief.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Lance where do you get jigs like that? I have not seen them before.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lance where do you get jigs like that? I have not seen them before.
That jig is from the "Fishing Hole" bulk bin trays. It has a finer wire jig hook, probably an Eagle Claw # 571. It does have some flex but it doesn't break. I set my drag a little lighter and take my time bringing them in and don't have any problem with them for bigger fish. Some people prefer a thick wire "Greenback Slammer" style jig hook and horse them in fast, lessening the chance of hook popping due to bend/ flex and less time for the fish to headshake and potentially throw the hook.

Product Rectangle Wood Font Nameplate

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
True story. I was once with a friend fishing and I mentioned that Lance uses the bubblegum colored jig. We weren't catching much so he decided to change jigs and he started to hammer them including a 27". I've also found that color works well with artificial leeches.

·
Registered
389 Posts
True story. I was once with a friend fishing and I mentioned that Lance uses the bubblegum colored jig. We weren't catching much so he decided to change jigs and he started to hammer them including a 27". I've also found that color works well with artificial leeches.
I've also done well using the Northland long shanked bubblegum jigs which are available at Cabela's and Smoke N Fish in Selkirk. I'll post a pic of the two styles soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts