Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I was up there and it was a very tough bite for everyone...Current was very wicked even with a ! ounce jig and not much to be marked were Lance was fishing. Think it took Lance well over an hour to catch his first fish. Two guys I know that were fishing close to Lance only caught two fish in two hours but they were both over 28". Were I was fishing over a kilometer east from the group alone i was marking fish for a couple of hours and catching but not consistent. Also I was using pretty poor quality minnows which on a tough bite doesn't help. The two other guys I new came over after a couple of hours and proceeded to start catching but all were in the 19-22" range. I was happy to be out on such a nice day but prefer fishing with slightly widier conditions which seem to produce a more aggressive bite.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Good reports guys. I don't understand why the current happens. Was there opening day and there was no current at all, last year 1 oz. jig was needed at times.
I've been told it's how the water flows going North, but with the amount in the rivers I kind of don't think so, also that the trick is to find the current seams in order to find the fish?
Is the current caused due to more water being pushed or flowing back after the wind has moved it?
I know that's why the Red River rises with a wind from the North.
Northern water flow or wind pushing water?
Just wondering how to predict the next outing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Pretty hard water current to predict, even after been out there two to three weeks at a time and even taking in the wind conditions have not been able to figure it out. Sure some of it does have to do with wind conditions and how it will push the water from one large body of the lake into another through what we consider a channel. There is the also the water flowing into the lake from a number of rivers and creeks plus some of it is also I would think as tidal.
The days that I find the fish are the hardest to catch are the days usually with little current and no wind but you can still find them sometime during the day that they will bite but you have to be out there when they are ready to bite on their time and not yours.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, I completely agree with Precious! Current on the lake can be a tough thing to figure out and sometimes it doesn't do what you think it should. One thing that I have observed is that current often results from a subsiding wind. For example, when the wind blows hard out of the North for a day or two, when it slows down, dies completely, or even switches to the South, the current will reverse itself. Sometimes, it happens quickly and sometimes it can be delayed, even up to 8 hours later, without much apparent rhyme or reason due to intensity or duration. Sometimes it will even stop completely and then reverse and come back hard the other way in a matter of just a couple of hours. The only way to be truly prepared for varying current conditions is to have a good selection of different jig weights in your tackle box, sometimes even up to 2 oz.

IMO, fishing in current on the river is completely different than the lake. Where current breaks, seams and other areas of lesser current are good spots on the Red to get out of the heavier stuff, they seem to like heavier current and actually thrive in it in the lake, possibly because of improved visibility. Walleye have superior eyesight and have a distinct advantage over their prey in low light conditions but there is a breaking point, especially in mud stained waters of the river. On the lake, not so much and there seem to be more rocks, gravel and structure to hide behind. I believe that a heavy jig in strong current most often will out perform a lighter jig, even when still able to hold bottom. I think a lighter jig spins, flutters and sways too much in heavy current, making it harder for fish to track and target.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
True enough and as Precious stated, combine all those factors with the area we are talking about having a deep narrow channel, thats a lot of water moving back and forth..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts