Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made it out yesterday for the first time this season. I got a bit of a late start but it was a steady bite right from the start, and it didn't really slow down for me all day. I only moved once, trying to get on some bigger fish. I ended the day going through 4 tubs of salted shiners and catching 135 Wallies. About half of them were around 20", quite a few in the 21"- 26", 16 of them were 27", 1-28", and 2- 28.5". I caught them all on a 3/8 oz. bubblegum jig. Water temperature was 10.4° C. and only a couple of the fish appeared to be spawned out. Here are some pictures:

20210523-28.jpg
20210523-28.5.jpg
20210523-28.5 (2).jpg

·
Registered
364 Posts
I made it out yesterday for the first time this season. I got a bit of a late start but it was a steady bite right from the start, and it didn't really slow down for me all day. I only moved once, trying to get on some bigger fish. I ended the day going through 4 tubs of salted shiners and catching 135 Wallies. About half of them were around 20", quite a few in the 21"- 26", 16 of them were 27", 1-28", and 2- 28.5". I caught them all on a 3/8 oz. bubblegum jig. Water temperature was 10.4° C. and only a couple of the fish appeared to be spawned out. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 120536
View attachment 120536 View attachment 120537 View attachment 120538
We fished Pine Falls last week and the fish were not spawned out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fisheries have determined that walleye are 80% spawned out in South basin, nets going in on Wednesday May 26th in South basin, May 31st in North basin, I imagine their nets will have full loads based on your results and those of my friends..hopefully the nets don't take all fish from the area like they did this Winter which made fishing really slow........Good luck, tight lines.......Nice report Lance!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fisheries have determined that walleye are 80% spawned out in South basin, nets going in on Wednesday May 26th in South basin, May 31st in North basin, I imagine their nets will have full loads based on your results and those of my friends..hopefully the nets don't take all fish from the area like they did this Winter which made fishing really slow........Good luck, tight lines.......Nice report Lance!
Thanks for the information about the start of the commercial season. I find it strange that my observations of spawned out fish always seem to differ rather significantly from the results of the Fisheries test nets. Maybe I am doing something wrong or don't know what to properly look for, but I had only 3 female fish that appeared to be skinnier and spawned out but no males were squirting. I believe that Walleye spawn around 5 to 8° C. I wonder how much of an effect our recent heat wave had on this year's spawn. Maybe some fish never spawned because of the fast warming and temperature change?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the information about the start of the commercial season. I find it strange that my observations of spawned out fish always seem to differ rather significantly from the results of the Fisheries test nets. Maybe I am doing something wrong or don't know what to properly look for, but I had only 3 female fish that appeared to be skinnier and spawned out but no males were squirting. I believe that Walleye spawn around 5 to 8° C. I wonder how much of an effect our recent heat wave had on this year's spawn. Maybe some fish never spawned because of the fast warming and temperature change?
[/QUOTEk]
Last week, Lake Manitoba, all males, no squirters...odd for sure.

·
Registered
709 Posts
And your point is what??
I’ve caught numerous fish of multiple species that looked identical. If the 2 pics are the same fish I’m sure it was not intentional. I know Lance personally. He’s a close and dear friend and lives across the back from me. We’ve fished together numerous times. He’s a great person and great friend who would have ZERO need to mislead or misrepresent his outings and accomplishments.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Yes, it was a mistake! Somehow a duplicate picture got posted and I haven't figured out how to edit on this new site format yet. I just figured it out now and have since removed the duplication.
I wouldn't be surprised if you just caught the same fish twice!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if you just caught the same fish twice!
That actually happened in a LW catch/ picture/ release tournament last year. The exact same fish was caught, released, as clearly shown in video footage, and then re caught again hours later. I heard that the app actually flagged the duplication and that there was some controversy going both ways. Since there was no specific rule for this, it was allowed. Some catch/ picture/ release tournaments have since amended their rules to now disqualify catching the same fish twice.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
That’s a pretty fucking stupid rule.
Makes sense why they allowed it at the time. I was part of the team that got second because of that rule I was pretty choked when I found out about it. The way the organizers handled it was perfect! They had ample proof that it was caught and released twice so they counted it. Still stings to lose like that.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
709 Posts
Explain to us please the logic behind your statement it was a stinging loss. How so? It’s called catch and release. We can’t physically see what’s under the water so explain how penalizing someone for catching the same fish is fair, reasonable least of be appropriate.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Explain to us please the logic behind your statement it was a stinging loss. How so? It’s called catch and release. We can’t physically see what’s under the water so explain how penalizing someone for catching the same fish is fair, reasonable least of be appropriate.
Held the lead for pretty much the whole day. Lost in the last hour.. didn't get the one big bite we needed. That's how it was stinging

·
Registered
709 Posts
So from where I’m sitting the fact the other team caught the same fish is a moot and irrelevant point. Had that fish been concealed, not released then later measured and pics taken and the fish entered as a legitimate catch you would by all means have a legitimate complaint. What I hear from you is whining and sore loser shit. Fact of life. Everyone can’t finish in first place.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
So from where I’m sitting the fact the other team caught the same fish is a moot and irrelevant point. Had that fish been concealed, not released then later measured and pics taken and the fish entered as a legitimate catch you would by all means have a legitimate complaint. What I hear from you is whining and sore loser shit. Fact of life. Everyone can’t finish in first place.
Far from sore loser can't worry about things out of your control.... Like I said the organizer's had a good awnser when I asked about the ruling. If we woulda caught another 26-28 inch fish and bumped out our 24 this wouldn't of even been a conversation... The Organizers obviously Cleary saw the release and the video showed no reason to believe there was cheating. I don't believe there was either.. Do I agree the rule makes sense nope but would I fish the tournaments again.. in a heartbeat and will do em this winter if they run them again.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I made it out again yesterday. It started off real slow, dead is more like it. It took me 3 hours to catch the first one. I would catch 2 or 3, and then nothing. Moving around to a few different spots produced the exact same results every time. I never really did find them any better than that, so I got lazy and just ground out the remainder of the day in a single spot. I guess I did all right, ending up with 62 Wallies, with 3-26" and a 27", but the bite seemed off. I found that they weren't very aggressive and bit extremely light and tight to bottom. Fast, sharp flicks with longer pauses on bottom triggered most of my bites. The day after a passing cold front is traditionally not a good bite time but I suspect they mostly moved out to other areas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts