Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday was a gorgeous day! There was very little wind and it was almost dead calm out there. It started off slow for me. I hit up several spots but couldn't get onto much of a bite with a few here and there. By noon, I had caught 30 Wallies but I moved back to an earlier spot and started catching real good. I moved again after a while, looking for some bigger fish, then ground it out the remainder of the day with a steady bite for the duration. I ended up with 138 Wallies with 6- 27", 2- 27.5", a 28" and a 30.5". Pretty neat to find several different bites going on at the same time in different areas and depths. The fish were hitting quite aggressively, mostly snap jigging. I was also quite surprised to see water temperatures vary, up to a 4° C. between different areas. The warmer water seemed to have the better bite going on. Here are some pictures:

20210607-28.jpg
20210607-30.5.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, always look forward to your posts! I’m hoping to get out to my spots this week, unlike yourself I’m still having problems getting more than 1 fish per day..... still learning the lake and how to read and fish it..looked back on some of your responses to my inquiries from last year and hoping to apply in the coming weeks....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nice fishing! 👍
I couldn't find that "X" you put out there. Is that the same "X" you used in January East of Chalet Rd.?:unsure:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do you recall what the temps were? I was noticing about 14 degrees C at the transducer a week ago on the west side and it had warmed up from 11 in a couple days! I imagine a north wind could reduce temps if they kept up for a day or 2 but surprised they would change that much with light winds and the same day!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All fish that I have caught this season so far have been released! Yesterday, my locator said that the water surface temperature climbed to 14.8° C. at day's end. I have noticed that throughout a hot, sunny day the water surface temperature can warm a degree or two and then cool off again overnight. I also suspect that shallower areas, usually closer to shore, will generally warm quicker.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sunday my first spot was 17 degrees c at 8:00am. At 9:00 am after i had moved to the east and also in deeper water it registered 15 degrees. In the afternoon I moved back closer to the first location and it registered 21 degrees and in two hours at 3:45 pm it had warmed up to 23.5 degrees. First thing in the morning there was no current really to speak off and had started to pick up at 11:30. Absolutely no wind but a north current pulling warmer water from shallower depths could explain this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sunday my first spot was 17 degrees c at 8:00am. At 9:00 am after i had moved to the east and also in deeper water it registered 15 degrees. In the afternoon I moved back closer to the first location and it registered 21 degrees and in two hours at 3:45 pm it had warmed up to 23.5 degrees. First thing in the morning there was no current really to speak off and had started to pick up at 11:30. Absolutely no wind but a north current pulling warmer water from shallower depths could explain this.
At this time of year surface temp is just a conservation topic,,, what matters is the temp at the bottom or the depth that the fish are at. Was told today by three different folks that the bite was off because the water was warming and the fish where heading north.... Limited out with eaters after releasing many over 20 inches. Majority of the big girls where shallow twelve, thirteen ft. An estimated thirty fish morning give or take. Is it possible that the north current bring cooler water temps and create ideal fish holding areas? You betcha ;););)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this time of year surface temp is just a conservation topic,,, what matters is the temp at the bottom or the depth that the fish are at. Was told today by three different folks that the bite was off because the water was warming and the fish where heading north.... Limited out with eaters after releasing many over 20 inches. Majority of the big girls where shallow twelve, thirteen ft. An estimated thirty fish morning give or take. Is it possible that the north current bring cooler water temps and create ideal fish holding areas? You betcha ;););)
Interesting! I completely agree that surface temperature holds little significance but IMO it does act as a general indicator or reference point that is easily accessible. I believe Walleye spawn around 5° to 8° C. and the general assumption is that the majority feed and hang around their traditional spawning areas until the water warms. I also believe that the majority of the fish head towards the North basin after the Spring spawn, but in my experiences, this is more of a long drawn out process than most people would think. There are also smaller groups of local fish that stay around the South basin and even the Red all Summer long, but these are harder bites to find. Pretty tough to beat the east peasy, Spring post spawn bite window for bigger fish, but there are some good fish to still be had at least up until the mid Summer mayfly hatch, when it definitely takes a big hit for 2 or 3 weeks. That's my two cents!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Interesting! I completely agree that surface temperature holds little significance but IMO it does act as a general indicator or reference point that is easily accessible. I believe Walleye spawn around 5° to 8° C. and the general assumption is that the majority feed and hang around their traditional spawning areas until the water warms. I also believe that the majority of the fish head towards the North basin after the Spring spawn, but in my experiences, this is more of a long drawn out process than most people would think. There are also smaller groups of local fish that stay around the South basin and even the Red all Summer long, but these are harder bites to find. Pretty tough to beat the east peasy, Spring post spawn bite window for bigger fish, but there are some good fish to still be had at least up until the mid Summer mayfly hatch, when it definitely takes a big hit for 2 or 3 weeks. That's my two cents!
Agreed. Food also has to be taken into consideration when trying to understand the movement. The fish just don't pac their bags and adios at once. Lotsa good fishing to be had . Now the fishing will start, which it is all about. At present Lake Winnipeg is still an untapped jem. Both for summer and winter angling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts