Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started off slow for me with 12, mostly eater sized Wallies for me by noon. I caught a few 23's, 25's, and a 27" so I decided to grind it out in the same spot/ area. As a rule, if I find 23"+ fish, there will be bigger ones around! Then I latched onto a good one and landed a 29". Later in the afternoon, another big one bit my usual Bubblegum colored jig and salted Shiner. This one was a 29.5". I ended the day with 68 Wallies, with 2-27", a 29" and a 29.5".

The next day started pretty much the same but all were eater sized. By 2:00, I had only caught 12 Wallies so a move was in order. I moved to a new area and it was immediately non stop action. In the next couple of hours, it was a hot bite! I went through 2 tubs of minnows and never had to wait much more than 30 seconds between bites. All were eater sized so I started to give serious thought to moving again. Then, I set the hook into some serious weight. Not much for headshakes and some longer runs so I suspected, Catfish. After a considerable battle, sure enough, I landed a 30" Catfish. I rebaited and shortly after my jig touched bottom, I hooked into another big one, but this one was a 29" Wally. The approaching dark, rain clouds got closer and closer so I called it a day by late afternoon. I ended the day with 88 Wallies. A good dozen of my fish were a bright gold in color, similar to shield Walleye, instead of the typical Emerald green. Here are some pictures, including some fish screenshots:

Product Output device Gadget Plant Rectangle
Food Vertebrate Fin Seafood Wood
Fish Wood Electric blue Font Banana family
Rectangle Art Gas Gadget Font
Food Vertebrate Blue Seafood Fin

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I made it out again yesterday. I found that the dead calm winds made for a very finicky bite. Short flicks with long pauses on bottom and high lifts with a long pause at the top of the stroke caught all of my fish. I didn't catch much for bigger fish and decided to pack up by early evening. One minute left to go and I hooked into a good one and landed a 29.5". I ended up with 42 Wallies. I also caught 5 Catfish and 2 Pike. Here is a picture:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have also caught a few walleye that are a more gold colour...like you stated typical to eastern Manitoba!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another day out! There was a fair South wind and it was pretty foggy in the morning. Once again, a slow start required a move. A short time later, I found a school of active fish but I was fully exposed to the wind and bobbing up and down pretty good. Pretty much non stop action but nothing big. The wind mostly died down towards evening and then I managed to hook into a 27", followed by a 29". Higher lifts with no pauses seemed to work the best for me. I ended up with 75 Wallies, lots of Perch, 3 Sauger, 2 Drum and a Catfish. Here is a picture:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very light winds yesterday so I was itching to get out again. Typically, I find the bite to be tougher under these conditions, with the exception of the Spring bite which doesn't seem to matter much. Very slow in the first couple spots so I didn't waste too much time grinding it out. At the third spot, they were biting decently. Lots of eaters and then I had a good one one, a chunky 30". It took a while but this spot slowed down too so I moved once again. It was a slower bite but the fish were bigger sized there. I then caught 10-24", 3-26" and a 28" in this spot. Most of my fish were caught with short flicks and long pauses on bottom, but there were a couple fast and furious windows where high lifts with no pauses worked better. I also caught lots or Perch and two Catfish. Here are some pictures:

Food Azure Seafood Fish Fin
Blue Food Fish Seafood Fish products

1 - 7 of 7 Posts