Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best walleye rod and reel that will cover me for jigging as well as trolling? Price is not a concern.

Also best line and top 5 lures.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
What is the best walleye rod and reel that will cover me for jigging as well as trolling? Price is not a concern.

Also best line and top 5 lures.
Don't know of any high end rods ("price is not a concern") that are designed to do both well, two very different technics/presentations with their own specific rod design characteristics, powers and actions. Been using Shimano Cumara and Cumulus rods with Shimano Stradic Ci4+ and Curado reels which cover me in most my fishing adventures, but separate trolling rods with either baitcaster reels or level wind reels to cover off those situations. Been using Fireline since forever, as for lures, no intelligent answer can be had unless the person knows conditions and body of water, to ask for the top 5 lures such a vague question that not one can really answer, unless you just want to hear, jigs/crankbaits/jigging spoons/spinner harnesses/drop shot rigs....if it works it works!

·
Registered
656 Posts
There isnt a best rod or reel or line of 5 lures, because if there was thats all that would be in the store.

Its what ever you prefer, But you need to figure out spinning or baitcast reel first then go from there. And if price is no concern instead of one expensive outfit get 2 moderate priced outfits and you will be much happier. And if you only want rod then get a fenwick method travel rod. You can get 4 different action from the 5 pieces.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I picked up a 5'9" Fenwick Eagle during the Fishin' Hole Boxing Day Sale, as a new finesse rod. Mostly for jigging and still fishing perch, walleye, crappie, etc... I like my Ugly Stik, but it was too heavy-duty for the finesse stuff, so I'll keep it for Pike fishing, etc, and use the Fenwick for stuff with smaller bites.

Reactions: Walleye Tracker

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a last-year's Fenwick 'HMG' and a 12-year-old Berkley 'Lightning Rod' with Shimano Sahara 3000 and Sedona 2500 series reels. I think the Berkley is just as good as the Fenwick and it was half the price. I also have an Ugly Stick but I find it is not sensitive enough. Okay for trolling. The rods are all 6'6". I'm a fan of both these reels.
I use 10-lb braided line with a 3-foot fluorocarbon leader. I think the braid is fire line, can't remember. Use a uni-to-uni knot to join them. Only had the line break there once and that was on a snag that wasn't coming free.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I see this quite often, someone asking about equipement, and you get a bunch of guys firing off their farovite brand names, they swear by.
Best time now to hit Pro-Am, they are having a sale until Saturday ( I heard), have a budget in mind for how much you are willing to spend, talk to the guys there about what the type of fishing you are wanting to do, they will set you up with the right outfit.
Remeber some of these rod and reels other are going on about, might be higher in price then you are wanting to spend,,,
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
OP, I recommend getting a 6'-7 foot medium action spinning rod with a fast tip. A size 30 spinning reel is suitable with 6-10lb line capacity. Don't get too hung up on brands, as feel, build quality and specs related to your use are of more value.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
I see this quite often, someone asking about equipement, and you get a bunch of guys firing off their farovite brand names, they swear by.
Best time now to hit Pro-Am, they are having a sale until Saturday ( I heard), have a budget in mind for how much you are willing to spend, talk to the guys there about what the type of fishing you are wanting to do, they will set you up with the right outfit.
Remeber some of these rod and reels other are going on about, might be higher in price then you are wanting to spend,,,
Good Luck
The OP did say price was not a concern!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts