Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this listserve, and am pleased by the sort of topics I am seeing. I am an old fellow from Western Pennsylvania, and have been fishing in Canada since my first trip in 1956 with my grandfather. I started walleye fishing in Quebec because it is closer to PA, then added Ontario and New Brunswick, and starting in about 2000, Manitoba. My next trip to the Great White North will be the third week of June, and after two years of COVID, I can hardly wait. I am a diehard jig fisherman, though I will fish with anything that's working on a given day. I can close my eyes and smell walleye frying in the pan! This trip will be my 179th and I have fished Canada as many as 7 times per summer (the year I almost got divorced - HA!). The last summer in my adulthood that I missed a Canadian adventure before COVID, I was in Viet Nam. My biggest walleye ever came from Manitoba, a 34 incher that weighed about 15 pound using the standard calculation of weight by length. I have a replica mount on my wall. Believe it or not, I have had a couple of 200 walleye days, though 100 is more typical of my luck and skills. Please preserve that incredible resource up there for me and my 11 year old grandson, who in keeping with family tradition, will be making his first trip. Please don't tell the walleye we are coming, I don't want them to be scared.

On a slightly different topic, has anyone tried Ned rigs on walleye. Since I learned about them, I have not been able to get across the border to try them out. They seem to work on trout and bass in PA, and I have great hopes for them in Manitoba.

I am also a hunter, and have killed several huge bucks in Western Manitoba.

Be safe and well.

Allen

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Doc great to hear you are still chasing those walleye and are doing it in Manitoba.
Have a great trip this summer.
Norm

·
Registered
52 Posts
This may have been the most wholesome thing I've ever read. Best wishes for you and your grandson on a trip I'm sure he will never forget!

Cheers,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Doc great to hear you are still chasing those walleye and are doing it in Manitoba.
Have a great trip this summer.
Norm
Dear Norm

It is so good to hear from you. It has been a while my friend. I hope that you are well, and avoiding the COVID bug. Your name does come up when I am bullshitting with Judge Foradora about Manitoba. I have two of your bucks hanging on my wall, and a wolf. Sadly, my hunting buddy Doug Wrabel died suddenly of cancer, and now I don't have anyone else to make such a long journey.
I am new to this listserve, and am pleased by the sort of topics I am seeing. I am an old fellow from Western Pennsylvania, and have been fishing in Canada since my first trip in 1956 with my grandfather. I started walleye fishing in Quebec because it is closer to PA, then added Ontario and New Brunswick, and starting in about 2000, Manitoba. My next trip to the Great White North will be the third week of June, and after two years of COVID, I can hardly wait. I am a diehard jig fisherman, though I will fish with anything that's working on a given day. I can close my eyes and smell walleye frying in the pan! This trip will be my 179th and I have fished Canada as many as 7 times per summer (the year I almost got divorced - HA!). The last summer in my adulthood that I missed a Canadian adventure before COVID, I was in Viet Nam. My biggest walleye ever came from Manitoba, a 34 incher that weighed about 15 pound using the standard calculation of weight by length. I have a replica mount on my wall. Believe it or not, I have had a couple of 200 walleye days, though 100 is more typical of my luck and skills. Please preserve that incredible resource up there for me and my 11 year old grandson, who in keeping with family tradition, will be making his first trip. Please don't tell the walleye we are coming, I don't want them to be scared.

On a slightly different topic, has anyone tried Ned rigs on walleye. Since I learned about them, I have not been able to get across the border to try them out. They seem to work on trout and bass in PA, and I have great hopes for them in Manitoba.

I am also a hunter, and have killed several huge bucks in Western Manitoba.

Be safe and well.

Allen
Dear Norm

It is so good to hear from your. I hope to find you and yours all well and sassy. Your name comes up every once in a while when I am bullshitting with Judge Foradora; he has his monster Manitoba buck hanging on the wall in his chambers. I will tell him that I have heard from you; he will be pleased.

Yes, I have been fishing Manitoba for the last 20 years or so, by far, the best fishing I have ever had anywhere in North America. I have a contingent of guys who fish with me, usually four at a time on outpost flyins.

By the way, if you are talking to any of the northern weather gods, tell them to keep those 40 below temps north of the border. We have been having almost tropical weather until just this past week. Global warming or am I just getting soft?

I am semi-retired, and have been hunting and fishing more. A couple of years ago, I got a Booner 12 point buck with my bow, my biggest bow buck. Surely you are retired as well, or am I wrong.

Be safe and well, my friend.

Doc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may have been the most wholesome thing I've ever read. Best wishes for you and your grandson on a trip I'm sure he will never forget!

Cheers,

Cheers,
Dear Urban Angler

Thank you. I am both pleased and humbled. I have always spent as much of the summers as I could with my kids growing up, fishing in Canada. I feel that I have an obligation to pass my experiences on to my family, and I brag that any of my children could survive in the wilderness with a pocket knife and a bic lighter....and of course, duct tape. Canada has made them better people, and the memories we share are priceless. My grandson will learn of these memories and hear some fishing stories, some of which are actually true (or at least based loosely on truth) I have written a small book of short stories for my kids, called "Adventures in the Great White North." I just hope that mankind gets serious about protecting that precious fantasy land up there, so that my great great grandchildren can enjoy the many hours of pleasure that Manitoba has provided me.

Doc

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dear Norm

It is so good to hear from you. It has been a while my friend. I hope that you are well, and avoiding the COVID bug. Your name does come up when I am bullshitting with Judge Foradora about Manitoba. I have two of your bucks hanging on my wall, and a wolf. Sadly, my hunting buddy Doug Wrabel died suddenly of cancer, and now I don't have anyone else to make such a long journey.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry to hear about Doug.
If/when you are talking to the Judge pass on a hello from me please. I never followed the NFL until he and his family got me hooked on a kid named Big Ben LOL.
All is well here. Hopefully our paths will cross again
Norm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about Doug.
If/when you are talking to the Judge pass on a hello from me please. I never followed the NFL until he and his family got me hooked on a kid named Big Ben LOL.
All is well here. Hopefully our paths will cross again
Norm
Will do Norm. He will be pleased that our paths crossed again. Last year he got a big grizzly in Alaska. He is well.

Yes, and may our paths cross again.

Doc

·
Registered
137 Posts
Will do Norm. He will be pleased that our paths crossed again. Last year he got a big grizzly in Alaska. He is well.

Yes, and may our paths cross again.

Doc
I will be the first to admit that Ned rigs were a new tactic to me.
After a few you tube videos and some reading I cannot see why they would not work well in our Manitoba waters.
I think lots of tactics fail as a result of the speed of retrieve and from what I gather slower is better.
I have friends who use plastics exclusively for walleye so they are not put off by that materialand soggy half rotten baits are a thing of the past.
As an aside, several trips to the Pacific have really taught me the effects of the moon and tides on fish and wildlife with positive results.
Have a great trip
Norm

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello Doc…it is so nice to read your thoughts on outdoors in Canada specifically Manitoba. Our province is so diverse in what the outdoors has to offer as well as beauty in landscape in every direction leaving the city. All different but offering great opportunities in outdoors/recreation. So many people think the grass is greener on the other side so what a breath of fresh air to hear from somebody like yourself! Thank you and welcome!….. P.S. maybe get your book up here for us locals to read!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Doc…it is so nice to read your thoughts on outdoors in Canada specifically Manitoba. Our province is so diverse in what the outdoors has to offer as well as beauty in landscape in every direction leaving the city. All different but offering great opportunities in outdoors/recreation. So many people think the grass is greener on the other side so what a breath of fresh air to hear from somebody like yourself! Thank you and welcome!….. P.S. maybe get your book up here for us locals to read!
Dear Btrain

I meant every word that I said. Pardon my drama, but Manitoba is a paradise for an old farm boy like me who grew up reading Jack London tales. For me, going up North to fish is almost a religious experience, and my standard response to making it to my favorite fishing spot, is happy tears and a feeling of exhiliration. I feel like I am home, where I really belong, my heart and soul at peace. When pass on, it is my hope to have my ashes spread up there. I am just so grateful that such a prisitine environment still exists in this world that mankind seems to be systematically destroying. I often think that I was born 200 years too late, but fishing and hunting in your wonderful province reassures me that I was not .

My book is not published, but it is just an assembly of accounts of the many years I have spent in Canada, over three full years by my calculation. I would be happy to share some of them, but really don't know how I would do that. My favorite story is about a canoe trip when my boys were seven. We were in a canoe, back before I could afford a boat, and a much larger pike hit the 23 pound one that I eventually landed. The boys were scared shitless. I got what I would estimate to be a 60 inch pike up to the boat, still holding on tight. I wanted a picture, as I knew enough not to try and pull it into the canoe. When I tried to gill it, it shook, let go, and slowly undulated away. I would venture that it weighed 45 to 50 pounds, honest. I have a picture of the bite marks on the smaller fish that somehow stayed on the hook. If you would email me at [email protected], I would be happy to try and send you a couple of my favorites, as I think I know how to do that.

Doc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts