Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally managed to convince a friend to come out fishing with me during a study break. We decided thursday is a good day to go, now the question is where should we head for a good chance to catch a few walleyes? our options right now are either lockport or the road block at the end of main.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know where we can get our hands on some minnows at 6 in the morning? Any gas bars on pembina that have em?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, whats the best place to fish when we get there, closer to the dam or further away? left or right side? and whats the best technique so we're not feeding the rocks all day?

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys! Ended up being a great day! limited out on walleye (4 each) and then fished for fun and released a lot more. Unfortunately a lot of them were really small but it was still a lot of fun. Managed to catch one 22 inch that was released.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One question. I did not fish directly by the fish ladder because you have to keep a 23 meter space. Many people jumped on the spot right beside the fish ladder, am I misunderstanding the rule or is it illegal to fish right beside it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was on the A&W side, and did not see a rope. I hear they are doing a "drawdown" or something of that sort there soon, can someone explain what exactly happens then and if I can still fish there after? Got my friend hooked now so we would like to go again soon :fish2:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I remember there being a rope at lockport but it is gone now, in my opinion, allowing people where there are not supposed to be fishing here is a form of entrapment, I guess it is still your responsibility to know where you are, bu it is not so much as to where your feet are, but where your line is, casting i out or letting it drift, I go about 1/2 way down but I REFUSE TO TAKE CHANCES. I go about half way down.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats exactly what I did as well. I seemed to be catching just as much if not more half way down anyway and was snagging way less it seemed. One thing I learnt today TAKE A SMALL JIGHEAD and add some small sinkers little further up (12 inches) on the line if you need to make it heavier. I got my jighead back almost every time that I snagged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts