Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

Walk-To Ice Fishing Spots

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Xman 
#1 ·
I am hoping to introduce my two sons to ice fishing. I am hoping to get some guidance on the best locations for walk-to spots within 2 hours of Winnipeg. I used to go to Lockport and Selkirk on the Red River, but hoping to try some new places with lots of action. We love pike fishing as well. Thanks.

#3 ·
Depends on how far are you willing to walk :).

Lake Manitoba already has over 12" of ice in some spots - last weekend I had to walk 600 m (~yards) to get to 9' of water.

Lake Winnipeg - you can find lots of good spots within 1 km from any entrance (Balsam Bay, Warner Road, etc.)

As mentioned above Whiteshell lakes are very nice in the Winter. Personally, I am staying away from Winnipeg River and mostly going on the lakes along the roads 307 and 309. Stay away from Whiteshell and Rennie Rivers - they could be very dangerous.

#4 ·
Balsalm is totally walkable.. everyone wants to go way out onto the lake, but you can do really well just past the harbour.
Most years lake mb can be walkable but some years you gotta go way out to the pressure ridges to catch.. but it can be well worth it... perch and Touilibee insanity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.