Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
What is the line between "ooh look what he is doing" and "ooh, look at the total moron" cross? I am not an ice fisher guy, but that was the stupidest thing I have ever seen. And to go back out to get your stuff makes it all better is worse. I wish this was in very deep water and it was all lost. Good thing the guy didn't die, but come on. November 4th, plus 15 I think he said, and sketchy ice BEFORE he ever went on. What would have happened if he fell through and got back to the shore to find 200 yards of no ice left. Pure stupid right there, no good value to watching it at all.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
What is the line between "ooh look what he is doing" and "ooh, look at the total moron" cross? I am not an ice fisher guy, but that was the stupidest thing I have ever seen. And to go back out to get your stuff makes it all better is worse. I wish this was in very deep water and it was all lost. Good thing the guy didn't die, but come on. November 4th, plus 15 I think he said, and sketchy ice BEFORE he ever went on. What would have happened if he fell through and got back to the shore to find 200 yards of no ice left. Pure stupid right there, no good value to watching it at all.
Typical "not an ice fisher" speak! LOL

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wat does not being an ice fisher have to do with knowing what you are doing is stupid. I don't fly planes, but I know that flying 5 feet off the ground is stupid. I don't cross deserts, but I know I probably need water. I don't ice fish, but knowing the ice is sketchy, going to get worse and still going out on it is stupid.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Wat does not being an ice fisher have to do with knowing what you are doing is stupid. I don't fly planes, but I know that flying 5 feet off the ground is stupid. I don't cross deserts, but I know I probably need water. I don't ice fish, but knowing the ice is sketchy, going to get worse and still going out on it is stupid.

Typical "not an ice fisher" speak! LOL

·
Registered
383 Posts
I like Aaron. I've known him for a long time... Way before the days of UNCUT, facebook and even fishing forums to some extent.

But I'm disappointed with this last video. All the warning signs were there in the beginning of the video, he even stated as much. The potential severity of this situation should not be down played, by him or anyone here. I really hope he addresses this in the second "...to be continued" video.

·
Administrator
1,464 Posts
I was also disappointed that in addition to the life and death risk, all that gear was put at risk. That would have been $6-7k in gear at the bottom of the lake of gear most of us could only dream of owning. He is very lucky to have a boat with all the means necessary to recover it. Most normal people would have only side imaging, which is pretty much stabbing in the dark. I would have been devastated to lose a flasher.

I was and still am a big fan of his work but I hope everyone can learn that even an expert is not immune to bad judgement.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
I said on another forum.....ballsy to the point of dangerous? Sure. Stupid or a moron? No. Aaron is as experienced (or more) as anyone when it comes to falling through the ice and making it out alive. Anyone else in that situation, it's likely a much worse ending. Aaron is the definition of expert in those situations. That's not to say it wasn't "too risky to be worth trying" and I think he's learned a lesson. I'm glad (but not surprised) that he's okay and got his gear back. I'm really looking forward to the follow up vid!

Reactions: tacogeoff

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
This debate comes up every year.....multiple times a year!

To each their own!

You make a decision to travel on ice over water based on your own knowledge and level of risk you're willing to accept! It was his choice and his alone.

Obviously using his knowledge he was willing to accept the risk........it didn't work out to well!

It's unfortunate when shit happens, it always effects many others in many ways (rescue folks/first responders/family), this time it turned out well........next time maybe not. Again his choice!

What I do disprove of.....he then chose to publish that video and the video of the recovery........that was in poor taste!

·
Registered
547 Posts
What I do disprove of.....he then chose to publish that video and the video of the recovery........that was in poor taste!
I disagree vehemently.....I think this is a learning lesson that might save someone's life one day.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
I disagree vehemently.....I think this is a learning lesson that might save someone's life one day.
And how exactly did the video demonstrate that........his chopping as he was walking.......axe goes thru, not good, axe doesn't go thru, s/b good........like really, a fricken' 4 year old knows that........the video showed NOTHING else!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don’t know him and have never watched his videos at all. He’s an idiot for going out on that ice. If he was out to prove how dangerous ice can be, then he would have had rescue personnel with him out there. By not having rescue there, he made an idiotic move.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Looks like God was on his side that day lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don’t know him and have never watched his videos at all. He’s an idiot for going out on that ice. If he was out to prove how dangerous ice can be, then he would have had rescue personnel with him out there. By not having rescue there, he made an idiotic move.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.
I don't have the patience to watch most videos however I saw this one just to get the jist of what the thread was about.
If one is testing the ice thickness with an axe, just maybe one shouldn't on that ice in the first place? Not much difference between the axe method or Balsam Sparky testing the ice thickness with a 25' plus RV trailer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Reasons why he's not an idiot, but rather an expert......

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQjSYflwPck[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHf7nt6pcyI[/ame]

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was also disappointed that in addition to the life and death risk, all that gear was put at risk. That would have been $6-7k in gear at the bottom of the lake of gear most of us could only dream of owning. He is very lucky to have a boat with all the means necessary to recover it. Most normal people would have only side imaging, which is pretty much stabbing in the dark. I would have been devastated to lose a flasher.

I was and still am a big fan of his work but I hope everyone can learn that even an expert is not immune to bad judgement.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
if the sony a7s had the lens I think it had on....that camera setup would be 4-5K alone lol.

Crazy video and I am glad he shared the aftermath and addressed his misjudgment of the situation. I am interested to see the next episode.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry Poppa, totally disagree with you there. The videos you posted where clearly set up, had a back up if needed, and I'm sure he was well taken care of by everyone involved. Showed what to do, under relatively little danger.

What he did alone, knowing that the ice was poor, going through, as he said, in the middle of the lake, no one else to help. Had to go back in to get his keys. What if there was current and the jacket got swept away or it was deeper than he could get them back? Sure it was warm at the time, but falling into water that cold, you are cold no matter what. Stuck out where ever he was, night comes. Even if the water didn't get him then, chances would not be good unless someone happens along and finds him. What he did was pure stupidity, sticking with my moron statement. Yes he was an expert enough to get out this time, which is good, but knowing that you are putting yourself in danger before you even start, and acknowledging that, stupid.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts