Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone was telling me that tullibee is a good cat bait for the fall.

Do any of you cat gurus use tullibee, I was always under the impression that frogs were the bait of choice in the fall.

G

·
It's like the spring and summer really. Tullibee is a great bait for the fall but don't depend on it. Keep different choices on you when you head out. Fall catting is much like summer catting that at any moment certain baits can just turn on and off.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean saw that on Friday, we were doing well on shrimp but the fellow beside us was getting nothing on goldeye.

Offered him some shrimp to try and all of a sudden he was landing cats. For such big brutes they can certainly be picky eaters.

G

·
Yeah I had a few things with me on Sunday night however shrimp seemed to be the winner. It is crazy how much their appetites change from day to night as well. Donovan swears by cut bait during the day other then a few days this year shrimp has just not been a great performer during the day. But then night rolls around and other then about a week this year shrimp has been the bait of choice. So it will be interesting this fall the conversations me and Donovan have over bait choices.

If memory serves me correctly the Goldeye and Shrimp did about the same thing last year from day to night.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
That is a really interesting point of view. I have never thought about daytime vs night time as far as bait choices? Day to day and sometimes hour to hour cats seem to key in on different baits. I am starting to lean towards another theory. When the cats are hot and aggresive they tend bite everything and guys all over the river will report great catches on everything so lets throw that out for the sake of this discussion. Also when catfish or any fish for that matter are keying in on a specific food source they will ignore almost everything else, as an example smallies during a mayfly hatch, of Catfish when goldeye first come up the river in numbers. Shrimp however is not natural or available to catfish unless an angler is presenting it. Maybe when cats are not really feeding heavy the oily foreign scent of shrimp turns them on and it triggers them to bite out of curiosity. One other idea could also be that at times cats are not looking to chase down goldeye or any natural baits. Instead they are just cruising the bottom looking for something smelly and dead to pick up for an easy meal and shrmip fits the bill nicely while a goldeye is not even on the menu as they associte it with a fast moving natural target that would they have to chase. who knows just ideas. I would honestly have to say I am using shrimp less than 20% of the time and never struggle to catch fish for my guests. If the bite is on shrimp I have it available so it is all good.

lol after all of that ....yes tulibee is a good bait in the fall but more so when the water starts getting colder and the tulibee are moving into the river and the cats are moving north

G

·
First, I am not sure there is any other forums for local MB that have catfish debates to this extent. I like it.

Any way it is something I have thought about before. Earlier this year when it was staying light out until 11pm and I would hit the water at 7ish goldeye would be on fired until the sun was just starting to fade and then other bait choices kicked on. Your statement of oily bait could be the attraction. I have always wondered if it was do to the light conditions. Catfish are super sensitive their vertical lines and whiskers are loaded with sensory organs. So I wonder if cats just get lazy at night. During the day they are in current deep water hunting. At night they move into the shallows and on the breaks of high current waiting for food to come to them. This could be a giant factor is bait choices from day to night.

Btw Tullibee is a really oily fish so the suspected lazy cats love the stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
gmharrison said:
I know what you mean saw that on Friday, we were doing well on shrimp but the fellow beside us was getting nothing on goldeye.

Offered him some shrimp to try and all of a sudden he was landing cats. For such big brutes they can certainly be picky eaters.
GM, thanks for the shrimp the other night. They weren't touching the goldeye at all Friday night, and very quickly took the shrimp as soon as I switched.

Sunday afternoon I went out with Tullibee in the afternoon and landed a few real big cats in the faster water by the locks. Until then I've been more of a shrimp user. I think it's probably great advice to carry a couple of different options. My brother was fishing with a deep diving walleye-type lure in the water only a few yards from the bridge, and a 39" cat took the lure in it's mouth (not foul-hooked). The lure was nothing special, but 4-inch medium-large in size diver with a very effective internal rattle, diving probably 10' down since it had a big lip.

Although I'm not a biologist, it would seem logical that these cats are likely more opportunistic and chowing down on anything tasty they find in that muddy water. I can't imagine them actually doing much "hunting" when they can only see a few inches, but anything's possible I suppose. Maybe the big cat on the deep-diver was in hunting mode.

On a side note, relative to another discussion on cats, this 39-incher was the longest, fattest cat I've seen. Perhaps something to do with the spawn. Again, not a biologist... don't know much except I like them cats.

G

·
Lockport1850 said:
Although I'm not a biologist, it would seem logical that these cats are likely more opportunistic and chowing down on anything tasty they find in that muddy water. I can't imagine them actually doing much "hunting" when they can only see a few inches, but anything's possible I suppose. Maybe the big cat on the deep-diver was in hunting mode.
Cat's are a bunch of both. Opportunity is a part of it but I think the argument could be made that if Cat's just ate what ever came along we would not see the tendencies like you experienced the other night where one bait had no luck and then in the same spot a different bait lands the kitties. Cats are actually very advanced hunters and are one of the few species that actually have shown the ability to learn and remember. On the back of all that Cats can be real damn lazy and will just sit and let food come to them. Oh and the fact that they live in dirty muddy water does not hinder their ability to hunt. Cats actually have poor eye sight to begun with those big whiskers are eye's, nose, fingers, and a ton of other stuff.

Ok that is enough for your daily dose of cat knowledge. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
THIS FOURM ROCKS!!!

You know how people say a blind person makes up for their lack of vison by developing their other sences? well times that by a million and add excellent vison and you have a channel cat. People think of them as having bad vision, being slow and stupid and all sorts of other incorrect steriotypes. Channel cats have superior lateral line that detect the slightest vibrations and movement under water as well and the most advanced scent detection system of any freshwater fish on the planet. The Red is dark yes but people looking into dirty water with a dark bottom is totally different than a fish with far better eyesight looking up from dirty water to the lighted background of the sky. especially when they are busting goldeye near the surface. I have caught a lot of cats drifting bobbers in some pretty fast water and there is no way those cats are keying in on that bait with scent and vibration alone. They see that bait just fine and CRUSH it as it passes.

we should all just be thankfull cats don't have an appetite for human's.... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Tullibee is my bait of choice come September - if I can find it. Tough to come by this year due to the high waters. Commercial guys are not getting them in their nets... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts