Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[attachment=1:u4darxw7]100_2568.JPG[/attachment:u4darxw7]When comeing on the ice at Balsam stay south of the tape i put up were the truck went through. A truck pulling a big fifth wheel broke the ice at the ridge and this guy drove on the piece that was broke off and had to break the back window with his metal thermos to get out of the truck thank god nobody got hurt.Had to take our excavator down and lift it while the tow trucks winched so we could get it out

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wow, i'm just glad everyone made it out okay. Warm weather, high winds probably caused this crack.. no? People have to look out for this pressure ridges... Wouldn't help that the truck was diesel, heavy buggers.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that is what people have to realize the ice can hold a pickup or car but when you take a one ton truck pulling a triaxel fifth wheel you are way over the limit of the ice

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
huricane said:
I think that is what people have to realize the ice can hold a pickup or car but when you take a one ton truck pulling a triaxel fifth wheel you are way over the limit of the ice

I browsed the safe ice link and one thing I picked up was that you need to space out the vehicles on early ice. A full sized truck with a big ass 5th wheel is probably like 2 maybe 3 vehicles in a tight space which is likely why the ice gave way. I would imagine that if each vehicle was spaced out 50 yards going over there never would have been and issue......

funny how last year there was 18 inches before guys were risking it in numbers , this year 15 inches and the ice is full of trucks.....and a bloody 5th wheel...to boot....lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Common sense is lacking for a lot of people. I agree with the ice thickness and driving on. Remember last year humm and haww about driving on 18 myself now its loaded everywhere you look. When I was at EOM on sat I was shocked to see all the trucks out there. I mean really its the river think about it. Does not take much to play it safe.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
MNTMAN said:
I dont personally think that the warm weather has anything to do with this incident!
Actually Mike its just the opposite.. That ice was formed over a period of weeks during moderate to mild temps. It was good dense black ice. Then in less than 24 hours the temperature dropped from +3 to -23. That sudden change in temp causes shrinkage to the large mass of ice and as it contracted it pulled away from the shore. Guys that drove on before 8 did not have a crack to deal with and I don't believe it had anything to do with a fifth wheel or the size of the Duramax, just nature at work. I was fishing about 3 miles north of there and that same crack was following the shoreline all the way. The real danger is where the crack splinters off to form triangles.
Shrinkage cracks open during cold snaps, pressure ridges form during milder weather as ice expands. I suspect that the crack will close up somewhat today and tomorrow with the milder temps.
Geez, I am sounding a bit like ts195 with this essay, better end it. :shock:

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
the fifth wheel trailer is guys from Minnesota, it's a 35' Ice Castle shack, I was in today and all I can say is WOW!!!! granite tops, 60" LCD TV, satelitte dish, sleeps 8.....unbelievable unit and its dry weight is around 7800 lbs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
WOW, hope the B&E boys from CIL do not see this post, goodbye TV, etc. Can Americans bring guns across the border, Hmmm, CIL boys HEAD to the lake.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
they sleep in it, fish from it, eat from it....they don't even go outside

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Holy jumpin geppers that thing is massive. I can see why stuff broke open. Yikes

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
I Went in for a look Today Sweet Thing

32.000 Bucks But you can use it Year Round :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D

The Guy Was asking if he will be-able to get it off in March With 5ft Ice And No Snow And providing the Shore line holds Up I am sure he Can
If Not A new Reef ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
BritinCanada said:
I Went in for a look Today Sweet Thing

32.000 Bucks But you can use it Year Round :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D

The Guy Was asking if he will be-able to get it off in March With 5ft Ice And No Snow And providing the Shore line holds Up I am sure he Can
If Not A new Reef ;) ;) ;) ;)
structure.....lol

Reactions: Pic6
1 - 20 of 27 Posts