Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum members,

I know a lot of people will swear by their methods of snagging walleye but I'm interested in trolling crankbaits. My little boat at the cabin has no fish finder and I'll be out there for two days, I think this will be a good way to cover water and try a few channels I know hold the suckers. My question is, what crankbait's would you recommend? I need them to get down to at least 20 feet, and have a color that will have a good chance of attracting some north western Ontario fish.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hey forum members,

I know a lot of people will swear by their methods of snagging walleye but I'm interested in trolling crankbaits. My little boat at the cabin has no fish finder and I'll be out there for two days, I think this will be a good way to cover water and try a few channels I know hold the suckers. My question is, what crankbait's would you recommend? I need them to get down to at least 20 feet, and have a color that will have a good chance of attracting some north western Ontario fish.

Cheers!
IMO, 2 ounce bottom bouncers with spinners would work better in 20 fow.
You can look at the cranks, and the packaging will tell you how much line is needed to get to a certain depth, they are all different.

·
Administrator
1,441 Posts
Tail dancers or deep tail dancers are my choice for unassisted cranks. Worked on the Red and the Whiteshell. Though I don't use cranks enough to know which colors are the best.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I’ve been meaning to experiment with bottom bouncers more too. I’ve heard the Reef Runner deep cranks might be worth a try too.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Every crank runs to a specific depth range. The packaging should tell you this. The size and shape of the lip is also a good indication. Speed and the amount of line out are also major parts of the depth equation. Without electronics or a good knowledge of the area you plan on trolling, going by feel is about all you have left to go by for judging speed and depth. As a general rule, I would suggest attempting to maintain slight bottom contact but not snagging. Like Higgins says, bottom bouncers would take out a lot of the guess work and experimenting, making it a whole lot easier to ensure you are near bottom, and even allow you to use cranks that are designed for shallower running. Speed changes, putting the motor in neutral temporarily, and trolling S curve patterns are often huge triggers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I haven't had as much success with deep running crankbaits compared to the 10' range.

It really can depend on where you're fishing. But zig-zag trolling patterns along shorelines are a good bet.

Rapala shadlings in silver and gold and perch finishes.
Minnow baits like Bomber long A.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at the cabin on the weekend, I tried a couple options. Used a bottom bouncer and a spinner rig with bait like lirwin suggested and caught 1 pretty nice walleye but nothing else. I then switched to the spinner rig with 2 split shot weights and they must have been up shallow because I caught 3 eater sized ones doing so, I even threw a crank bait that dives to 20 feet (apparantly) and caught no walleye with it but a pike and a smallmouth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts