Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys who Use Top Water Poppers . . I wondering when is Best time to use.. This morning i was getting smacked Pretty Good Working the Shallows Edges tell the Full sun come out then the Bite died.. As a guy who Never really uses Poppers is this Normal.? Thanks...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey guys who Use Top Water Poppers . . I wondering when is Best time to use.. This morning i was getting smacked Pretty Good Working the Shallows Edges tell the Full sun come out then the Bite died.. As a guy who Never really uses Poppers is this Normal.? Thanks...
So when I'm fishing smallies, I pretty much am exclusive to poppers. I've started getting into ned rigging a bit, but to date, nothing has matched the production of poppers. Morning and evening are the best bites, and if I had a choice, evening would be my priority.

I personally love Matzuo's for the shape of the mouth on them...I find it creates the perfect action on top of the water. Spooks are also a solid option if you know how to work it (walking the dog...).

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when I'm fishing smallies, I pretty much am exclusive to poppers. I've started getting into ned rigging a bit, but to date, nothing has matched the production of poppers. Morning and evening are the best bites, and if I had a choice, evening would be my priority.

I personally love Matzuo's for the shape of the mouth on them...I find it creates the perfect action on top of the water. Spooks are also a solid option if you know how to work it (walking the dog...).

What have you found to be better Over cast days or Sunny days ?? Thanks BTW. I haven't gotten in to the Spooks yet but going to Buy for my next trip...:grin::grin:

·
Registered
541 Posts
What have you found to be better Over cast days or Sunny days ?? Thanks BTW. I haven't gotten in to the Spooks yet but going to Buy for my next trip...:grin::grin:
I feel like sunny days/eves, you'll definitely find them more concentrated under the fallen timber. Anywhere there's shadows created, they're generally in there. Overcast is fine, too, but I've found that raindrops can shut down a topwater bite pretty quickly...

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like sunny days/eves, you'll definitely find them more concentrated under the fallen timber. Anywhere there's shadows created, they're generally in there. Overcast is fine, too, but I've found that raindrops can shut down a topwater bite pretty quickly...

Thanks for that Helpful info.. Have you gotten in to the Frogs .. I can't hook a bass with a frog if my life depended on it.. I caught a Pike with one but he Bite me right off grr lol// So many Missed fish...:(:(

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
For me, poppers around docks and structure. Frogs in weed cover like lily pads. There are ways to increase catching odds on frogs, but they make them less weedless like bending the hooks out away from the frogs body.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm going to sort of agree with abousetta....love frog colouring in the lily pads for sure, but I go with a frog-colouring popper. Again I default to Matzuo because that's my favourite, but the Matzuo in green/black/yellow frog paint is DEADLY in a lily pad bay....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts