Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drilled close to shore and had about 7" of ice. Walked some more, had 5", walked some more and the auger only made a couple turns before falling through :shock: So I stepped back a bit and drilled, same thing, stepped back a bit and drilled again and same thing... got this hole about 7 paces closer to shore than I had already been... 1" of ice. Just two or three steps back from this hole is where I had 5"....

So I fished on the 5" briefly in 6 FOW and caught a small pike.

I was tied to shore the whole time, but still I'm very lucky I didn't go through.

Lesson: DO NOT go on the ice in the city where there's open water. (Duh) Ice changes FAST.

This moron's definitely gotta get an Arctic Armour suit soon.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah, the ice in the city is totally different than anywhere else,, past the Provencher Bridge the other day and there was open water all over,, Be careful if venturing out.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
All the ice inside the Perimeter is sketchy at best with all the discharges into the river.Glad you took precautions before venturing out.

G

·
Ice in the city is dangerous all year. Like BB said all the inlets, streams, city discharge etc. The ice fluctuates fast and very dangerously.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Amazing how much thicker it can be such a short distance away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts