Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

Too cold?

5K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Wishinifishin 
#1 ·
Hello Is it too cold to go fishing right now? Curious on people’s thoughts

#2 ·
Hello Is it too cold to go fishing right now? Curious on people’s thoughts
Yes. But I love to run and gun and fish outside. I have a beautiful insulated otter tent but I just wanna hunker down and sip some tasty beverages on days like today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: smerf
#4 · (Edited)
curious why you think the question needs asking. Severe windchill advisories in effect for the rest of the week. Anyone who has spent serious time on the ice knows all too well the obvious answer. A big resounding hell yes it’s too cold. Machines fail and don’t start. Augers and heaters don’t work. Nothing about these conditions favours or encourages mobility. Be safe be wise and hunker down. Wait for temps to moderate when it’s safer and more enjoyable.

#7 ·
I spent 2 days resigning 1 of the clubs trails in the gimli fraserwood areas 2 days ago. Windchills were in excess of -35. They don’t even send the groomers out in these conditions. It’s extremely hard on the equipment and hazardous for the operators. You won’t even see the commercial guys out in these conditions.

#8 ·
As hardcore as I am about fishing, I sat this weekend out. At best you pretty much set up your shack and stay in the same spot all day. Mechanical failure could be life and death in these situations.

There are plenty of weekends left in the season to enjoy this sport.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Slap on the extension for next time out, think ice should be building up well now.
Plan to go out more often when good weather returns to make up for the lack of outings thus far.
I prefer fishing outside as much as possible, but still have the flip ready.

#10 ·
Went to lake Winnipeg Saturday, not very many people out where we were . Us and 2 other guys. Ice fishing season is short . Dress for the weather, bring the appropriate gear, make sure someone knows where you are and make sure you give regular check ins . Things can go wrong in a hurry with these temps. But If your hurting to go fish. I say go fish

#11 ·
I sat out this weekend, instead I worked some OT, this shit weather ruined my 5 days off, I did get to fish Wednesday and finally found where walleyes are hiding which made it harder to go. Looks like a week wednesday the weather will break, long wait but like others mentioned the extreme cold is hard on equipment

#15 ·
Did an experiement for the kids. Soaked a long sleeve cotton shirt and put it outside. In the matter of one to two minutes it was frozen stiff. Remember if you're out in this weather and sweating this is what your body could be touching (a frozen shirt). The right gear for the right weather will definitely go a long way in these kinds of harsh weather.

#17 ·
I swing hammer outside in all weather all year. Except for in weather like this. -30 no wind is doable but these winds are wicked. I sincerely hope that people heed the advice from others and remain hunkered down until warmer days ahead. There has been more than enough tragedy on the ice this season. Stay indoors. Stay safe!!!

#18 ·
If you think you really NEED to fish, I’d say pick a spot where your not in the wind (pretty much excludes any big lake).
I wouldn’t go far out on the lake either, I’d want to be close to shore so I could get back to my truck or at least build a fire if things go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
too cold when you are not dress properly or equip properly, if you expect just to go out and fished this kind of weather without any issue, you'll be in alot of trouble. this weather will break equipment, your heater might not turn on (which buddy heater is terrible on this kind of weather).. fished sunday, was almost all day outside, the only thing prohibit me to stay out is my equipment is icing up.. but we have base set up so we can warm up for few minutes and hit the outside again

#25 ·
It's a shame it's so cold,
Province offers free winter family fishing weekend, beginning Feb. 13

Manitobans will be able to get outside and try their luck ice fishing at many of Manitoba’s world-class lakes and rivers during this year’s Winter Family Fishing Weekend, running from Saturday, Feb. 13, to Monday, Feb. 15.

It's difficult to get first timers out in weather like this, IMO Manitoba needs a one day fishing licence.

#27 ·
This week was too cold to work outside so I decided to go fishing Tuesday morning. Got to lake -37 without windchill. Was calm on walk out got set up and settled in tent by 8. Was a decent day. Iced a bunch of whitefish. Didn’t go out of tent at all really. Checked in with wife every 30 minutes or so. Wind picked up in afternoon was probably-50. Not naive at all about things going south. But took extra precautions- also aware that shit happens quick. Warmer days ahead!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.