Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious on what action is being taken to save the trout in this fantastic lake. Was out a few times this spring and fall and caught numerous perch 2" - 10".

I saw some netting/monitoring being done in 2015 but have not seen any activity since.

Can the trout survive and co-exist with the perch?

Is stocking of trout going to continue?

Is there a consideration to not aerate this winter to kill off all species and start over with trout?

Very interested to know what has been done and what the action plan is.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
This may be controversial, but if post lot of pictures of perch caught on that lake (GPS coordinates don't hurt either), you'll get hoards of people rushing there to catch their limits of perch. It's unfortunate, but true. That is probably the fastest way today to cull the perch population short of killing everything in the lake and starting over.

One great small lake I used to go to for perch got mentioned on several forums and facebook and all of a sudden it's becoming overfished by hundreds of fishermen that never knew that it was a great fishery for perch.

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
Well Tokaryk is a bit far for city meat hogs to make the effort unfortunately. Personally if I were to drive that far I would rather spend my time doing quality trout fishing in that area that looking for a ton of perch. Might need to start from zero if the perch are really bad for the trout.

Sent from a smartphone with Tapatalk installed on it.

·
Banned
353 Posts
This may be controversial, but if post lot of pictures of perch caught on that lake (GPS coordinates don't hurt either), you'll get hoards of people rushing there to catch their limits of perch. It's unfortunate, but true. That is probably the fastest way today to cull the perch population short of killing everything in the lake and starting over.

One great small lake I used to go to for perch got mentioned on several forums and facebook and all of a sudden it's becoming overfished by hundreds of fishermen that never knew that it was a great fishery for perch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went out there last summer, and we caught over 150 perch between the 4 of us right underneath the dock. While we were there, we met with the angling chief in Manitoba (something like that), and he told us that he would be setting traps there this upcoming spring. All the perch were about 3 inches, but made great catfish bait.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did some more looking around. I was wrong about them running into boat trouble on Tokaryk, that was a different lake. They took 7600 perch out of Tokaryk.

If the perch are still being caught in big numbers maybe the idea of doing a complete winter kill is the right way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am thinking of trying this lake out this spring and summer . Has there been any action to eradicate the perch in this lake . If not how well does this lake fish and produce trout . From what i have read perch in a lake really stunts the growth of trout . Too much competition for food .

·
Registered
988 Posts
Perch has always been a issue in stocked trout lakes. I can think of half a dozen that have this issue.
Splake was suppose to be the solution but never worked

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.