Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! First post for me, so I am not sure what section this kind of thing goes in, but here we go.

I see a lot of pictures (and especially a lot of youtube videos) where guys and gals will pinch the tail when measuring a fish. I thought I remembered that the angling guide specifies that the tail should be laid flat/not pinched when qualifying for a master angler, but it doesn’t now. Did I dream it? Lol

My question is, do you guys typically pinch the tail when you take a measurement pic of a fish? I never have, and I have probably missed out on several masters because of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have seen! I just could have sworn the “rules and regulations” bit always used to say “tail laid flat ie not pinched.” I may be crazy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is mentioned in the Nanitoba Angling Guide for 2021 in the General Limits section under Measuring a Fish.

“Measuring a Fish
Total fish length is measured from the most anterior part of the head to the most posterior part of the tail laid flat (i.e. not pinched). See page 19 for an illustration. Note: 2.54 cm = 1 inch.”

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is mentioned in the Nanitoba Angling Guide for 2021 in the General Limits section under Measuring a Fish.

“Measuring a Fish
Total fish length is measured from the most anterior part of the head to the most posterior part of the tail laid flat (i.e. not pinched). See page 19 for an illustration. Note: 2.54 cm = 1 inch.”
That must have been what I was remembering. Good to know I am not totally insane. Thanks!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Angling Guide says no pinching. On close calls especially marginal slot size requirement, Conservation checkup may cost one several hundred bucks for not meeting the Angling Guide size regulations.
Welcome.
Clean the fish in the boat and really make the CO's guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts