Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'll start with this.

My primary fishing vessel is a 12' Native Ultimate Kayak. I love it and it works well for me, but it does have it's drawbacks. Most notably, covering distance on a lake/river can be a challenge (but not impossible) and the odd time that somebody wants to go fishing with me we're limited to the shore. I can live without the covering distance, but I always feel like an a** on summer vacation when I'm the only one not fishing on the bank.

With that, I'm considering getting a boat. But that comes with it's own challenges. Unlike my kayak, boats require maintenance, insurance and storage. All of which I'd need to pay for regardless of whether I use the boat or not. Being that (realistically) I'll be using the boat maybe 6 times a year at most and it would certainly be within the realm of possibility that it may not get used at all, justifying the expense (regardless of use) is a bit difficult. Also, having a boat sitting on a storage lot somewhere getting weather beaten and subject to the whims of the less then honest people who have access to those places doesn't sit well with me either.

With that I'm toying with the idea of a zodiac style inflatable with a 10hp 2 stroke. Something that could be relatively capable of meeting my needs but I'd still be able to store it where I live and if it doesn't get used it's not going to deteriorate in the sun and/or get stolen/vandalized.

Anyway, at this stage I'm just exploring options and am seeking input on the subject (good or bad). If anyone has any experience with this style of boat and/or has any input on the subject it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had a 14ft zodiac for the past 25 years that I mostly used for moose hunting, though have done lots of fishing(lake trout, greyling, walleye, Northern pike) with it when I am out. They are super stable. I introduced my children to fishing out of it due to its stability when they were toddlers.... My 15 hp 2 stroke Johnson powers it nicely(though you won't make it back upstream of a river if you have a moose on board), and it's design makes it safe in rough water, while drawing little depth. The only real drawback is the time it takes to set up and take apart. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to set up, inflate, install floor boards etc, and takes about 20 mins to break back down. They don't take much space to store, I store mine under my garage stairs. Make sure you pick up a patch kit, and purchase fresh adhesive each season if you get a hole. I would stay with Hepalon(sp?) construction rather than PVC as they wear much better out in the sun. Their are several brands other than Zodiac which are less expensive, though Zodiacs are the best built in my opinion. Hope this helps.....

Wayne

·
Registered
24 Posts
They are extremely stable and hold a large amount of weight for their size.
I had for years but it was passed down through family. I believe a new one is rather expensive.
A 12-14’ aluminum is fairly cheap by comparison and obviously a fraction of time to get into water.
But if you dont have a driveway or yard to park it, than its tough.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are extremely stable and hold a large amount of weight for their size.
I had for years but it was passed down through family. I believe a new one is rather expensive.
A 12-14’ aluminum is fairly cheap by comparison and obviously a fraction of time to get into water.
But if you dont have a driveway or yard to park it, than its tough.
A 14' tin tiller is on the short list. But, not having a place to safely store it makes it tough.

Can you offer any opinions on alum floor vs airdeck? Also, how worried to I need to be about punctures with a 30# dog in the boat?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a 14ft zodiac for the past 25 years that I mostly used for moose hunting, though have done lots of fishing(lake trout, greyling, walleye, Northern pike) with it when I am out. They are super stable. I introduced my children to fishing out of it due to its stability when they were toddlers.... My 15 hp 2 stroke Johnson powers it nicely(though you won't make it back upstream of a river if you have a moose on board), and it's design makes it safe in rough water, while drawing little depth. The only real drawback is the time it takes to set up and take apart. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to set up, inflate, install floor boards etc, and takes about 20 mins to break back down. They don't take much space to store, I store mine under my garage stairs. Make sure you pick up a patch kit, and purchase fresh adhesive each season if you get a hole. I would stay with Hepalon(sp?) construction rather than PVC as they wear much better out in the sun. Their are several brands other than Zodiac which are less expensive, though Zodiacs are the best built in my opinion. Hope this helps.....

Wayne
Thanks for the detailed reply. What's your opinion on aluminum floor vs airdeck? How worried do I need to be about punctures with a 30# dog in the boat?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
My first 'boat' was a used Zodiac. Biggest issue as mentioned is putting it together/ taking it apart at the boat launch. If you can afford, get a foldable trailer and do this at home. That's what I was going for until I bought a bigger boat. Hard floor is the way to go. Super stable and a 9.9 will put you on plane in no time and take you all over the rivers/ lakes with ease. Room is tight so you do have to plan what you put on the boat and a big par is if you want a real seat or if you're going to sit on the side.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would have to say that everyone I know who had a soft floor was disappointed overall unless weight is a concern for a fly in or hiking in type of occasion to use it. Aluminum floors never wear out, but are much more expensive than wood floor versions which can be maintained by painting on a regular basis..

·
Registered
24 Posts
A 14' tin tiller is on the short list. But, not having a place to safely store it makes it tough.

Can you offer any opinions on alum floor vs airdeck? Also, how worried to I need to be about punctures with a 30# dog in the boat?
The boat i had had very thick rubber. I dont think any dog could puncture it. A solid knife would be required.
I would def recommend any solid floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts