Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a new area That I have never fished before. Marked a few good really ones in the morning in 14 feet , but....couldn't get them to go, sounds like a broken record...lol

fished from 12 feet to 38 feet and nothing interested....didn't ice a fish this morning, peeeuww skunky fished 8-noon. well took a shot, but have not had much time to fish this winter so far.

The River tomorrow with Mike and the Big lake on Boxing day and likely won't see the river again for walleye until opening day for cats! well maybe a pike trip or two...It's Lake Winnipeg time!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
thanks for the report ! sucks to have one of those days where you try your best and end up with nothing .but hey thats fishing !

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a similar morning donovan with 2 saugers to show for it. Fished 6:50-10:45. I was home by 11:30, quick nap, realised I had nothing to do until the jets game started so headed back out to see if there was an afternoon bite. Fished 2-5 and got a limit of greens. Shallow Shallow Shallow.

Back at er tomorrow!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The old skunk always stings a bit thats for sure. A guy can usually snap a sauger or two, just to wipe the stripes away.
ChrisN, way to get back out there and give it another go. I have never really had as much luck in the afternoon on the red. Good work.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am never worried about catching fish when i am scouting new areas. it is what it is. Possibility of lighting it up and finding a bite no one else is on and also the possibility of stinking it up, which I did today...had an opportunity at a couple of bigger fish just could not get them to go...

try again tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I really enjoy scouting new areas and using different techniques. A lot of the time it is a bust, but I always learn something. Not to be a smart a** but, going out to an established area and catching fish by my-self bores me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
LeeMB said:
I really enjoy scouting new areas and using different techniques. A lot of the time it is a bust, but I always learn something. Not to be a smart a** but, going out to an established area and catching fish by my-self bores me.
Lee, lake Winnipeg although is huge but could be called an "established area" does it really bore you fishing there? whether one fishes at CBR, the Mouth, or Balsam etc. or drives in 15 miles it's still the same, meaning it's still not really that different from the established, commonplace areas....(apart from the depth, and I know certain days that can make the difference) besides a variety of lipless crankbaits, buckshots, jigs, dropper hooks, what other new techniques are there to be tried?

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting comment Brasso but I feel that is a huge oversimplification. I think you misunderstood what Lee was saying.

There is much more to fishing Lake Winnipeg and staying on fish consistently than hitting "spots". Fishing a "new" area on LW might consist of fishing an "old" area that no one has been fishing in a while, or even getting out to areas that you have never fished before. Moving 100 yards on an endless featureless depth can make the difference between feast and famine. Lake Winnipeg as a whole cannot be referred to as an established area by any stretch of the imagination IMO. Every time out is like fishing new water on LW as fish that were here yesterday can be gone tomorrow and a dead spot today might be full of fish the next day.

I think what Lee is saying is that he really has no interest in following the packs to areas where guys have caught a few fish. He would rather search out multiple areas with fish rather than hoping the community spots produce. You can't argue with his results...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Brasso, I guess I was refering to areas that I have fished before, and know like the back of my hand. Although I have fished more areas than most people, there are still lots of areas that are day fishable I haven't fished yet. With my new rig I am looking at doing overnight trips way up the east side and maybe into the north basin. That excites me. I am also a people person, and really enjoy talking to other fishermen. I've been known to be out there for hours and forget to drop a line.

I have a couple of new presentations and patterns I am still fine tuning. That is the stuff I enjoy working on. There are always new things to try and do. While the south basin doesn't have a lot of classic structure, the fish do relate to subtle things in the water. I enjoy finding those areas and figuring them out. Ultimately people fish for different reasons and a different payoff. Because I get to fish a lot and usually by my-self, unless I am guiding, I have the luxury of doing different things than most people. I am always looking for something else that will catch fish. I also really enjoy figuring out why they are in a certain area and then finding another area with the same conditions.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Lee what do you mean by 'classic' structure?
I must be misunderstanding.
There is quite a bit of structure along the south west side from 14' and shallower.
Granted there are
Reefs (or large rock piles), rocky point that break off to deeper water (being 5-7' dropping off to 12-14' feet).
Wish I had a sled to get to them. I do get to them during open water with pretty good success.
This year was exceptionally good for us from early June right up untill the end of September when it seemed to peter out.
With exception ... never got into the big schools of White Bass like in 09 and 2010.
*Wish I could fish them during the winter when water clarity was much, much better.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Dream-Finder, I should have clarified I was talking a little deeper structure and quicker drops. The fact remains that there are vast areas that don't have a lot of structure like a typical shield lake. You have to go to Riverton or the Hecla area or on the East side near Grand Marias north to find any mid lake humps or reefs.

That being said, there are other things that will attract and hold walleyes besides structure. FOOD. Find the food and you will find fish. You have to find out where the big pods of shiners are. I think I m on the verge of having them figured out on a consistant basis. My new rig will help me get to those areas.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Have you experimented east of Stephenson point (Wpg Beach).
There is a 'large' hump (mostly rocks) extending out for about a mile ... kind of like an extention of the point itself?

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
My ignorance is going to show here.
What do you look for on this lake that will hold the minnow during winter months?
3 weeks ago, I fished an area with a drop off from 5' to 7' to 12' not far away ... rock bottom.
Figured the area would hold food, but notta

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Does flow in the south basin have a dramatic effect on Bait location.

Taken from Enviroment Canada page.
"Hydrodynamic modelling of water circulation in Lake Winnipeg indicated that water generally flowed north or north-eastward in the north basin and north through the narrows region of the lake. Water circulation in the south basin was more complex, with water flowing southward along the west side of the lake and in a northerly direction along the east side of the lake."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:?: Can this be why East side has been more productive than West (warmer water from the Red, and more micro-organisms for baitfish)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yes I have fished the point at winnipeg Beach. It was very good a couple of years ago in March. The water patterns in the lake are a big reason the fish are where they are. Roger Stearns has put a lot of time in working out current patterns. I have found the big thing is cleaner water for the bait fish.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Interesting.
How did Roger do the R&D work.
I was puzzled this year when I was fishing the west side near Warner road.
Winds and waves out of the NE, yet our Slip bobber rigs were slowly moving north.
Yet, according to Enviroment Canada ...our rigs should have been moving S.

Anyway, clear water where we fished today.
Lost one, and put one on the ice (nothing really note worthy otherwise it would have gone back).
Kids loved watching it swimming just below the ice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts