Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fishing Community!

I'm a very novice fisherman and will be heading up to Hecla this weekend to go camping with the family. I want to start exposing my daughter, who is nearly 4 years old, to fishing. I was thinking of going off the pier this way she has water with some depth to drop the line into. I've got a whole bunch of questions, so I'll drop a few and appreciate your patience and any helpful info/hints you can provide.

Is there any chance she'd catch anything right up along side the pier?

Would you recommend any other spots around the park/island that she might have better success at catching anything, keeping in mind she's only 4 (almost)?

What should she use (jig, pickerel rig... minnow, or those fake plastic/rubber things that tend to come with the kids stuff)?

Is it possible to catch anything with those fake plastic/rubber things?

Any other tips/tricks for exposing young children to fishing and making this fun for her would be appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum,

I was up at Hecla a few weeks ago and last year I took my daughter out there when we were camping. Your best shot is to use a pickrel rig with a minnow on one hook and a piece of worm on the other hook. I've seen walleye, saugers, white fish, perch, and drum caught from that pier. Some of those walleyes were even big mommas... I've also heard of cats being caught there at night but I haven't tried and never saw any myself.

Generally speaking, go to the end of the pier and cast either straight out or to the left at about a 45 degree angle to the pier. If you cast just to the left of the pier are alot of snags and so I wouldn't recommend that.

My daughter was so happy last year when I reeled here line in (on a Disney Princess combo) and she had a sauger on. Hopefully, your daughter will have better luck, but even if she doesn't catch anything the experience is still very nice.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
The main thing with taking kids fishing is------ FOOD! Bring tons of snacks....way more than you think they'll need.

Avoid the bait n wait (pickerel rigs, namely). Most kids have a hard time just sitting still and not reeling the bait in. Get some 2"-3" twister tails with a clip on spinner blade (or small bass spinnerbait....ask for Crappie-sized ones) and get her casting if you can.....if not, cast it out and pass it to her showing what speed she should be cranking the reel. Should be good for White Bass or the odd Pike....even Drum will hit that.

Don't keep them out too far past the "I wanna go home" phase, or they may end up hating fishing.

Keep it fun....collect shells in between fish if you have to :)

·
Administrator
5,018 Posts
I have a cabin out in grindstone and use to go to help a when I was a kid. This is a good time of year to be taking here out that way. There should still be a good number of walleye around and the perch will be picking up a bit soon. As Mikebee said bring lots of snacks! !! Let her pick what she wants to bring, even if it's candy. There have been alot of time when I've taken my daughter out I've been sitting there chillin with a ring pop shoved in my mouth just so dad's doing the same thing as her. The little things are what make an out ring for the kids, not so much the fish themselves.

As for cats out that way. ... I suppose it's possible, but I've been fishing that are of the lake (grindstone side) all my life and have done a crap ton of night fishing both in the boat and off our property and I've never hooked one. .. and I've tried just for the hell of it and nothing. Burbot at night are fairy plentiful however lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I started my kids at 3.5yr - 4yr and i found that using a pikerel rig (or anything that can sit out in the water) was helpful - just toss it out and let it sit
I got them to practice casting with a rubber weight until they were comfortable, and then i let them fish with lures and retieving. My son caught on real quick.

Toss the line out and let them throw some rocks etc until the bite is on.... Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Fishing trips with the kids usually last less than 3 hours with my kiddos...

Soft drinks, tubbed candy (the stuff from Walmart - gummy worms, etc.) and ipods/Nintendo DS's are always brought along in case the fishing is slow.

If you want to get a kid hooked on fishing, expose them to species that are easy to catch (Catfish, Drum, Goldeye, etc...) once they catch a fish, they WILL want to catch more!

Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also in grindstone... perch are pretty hot right now as Spartan said. Saugs and Eyes are biting steadily as well.

Pic rigs have been my only success off shore this year, though I haven't tried much else as we are pretty rocky out front. Salted minnows tipped with a piece of plastic jig to keep them from flying off have been helpful.

There is at least one trout pond at Hecla - Bell Pond (not the one listed in the stocking guide as I understand it isn't open to fishing year-round). Could be worth a shot if your daughter gets the hang of casting.

EDIT: Wanted to add that the fish flies were starting last weekend and are likely pretty thick right now. Mosquitos are also hell at night so bring good bug juice.

Map for trout ponds on page 2: http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/pdf/maps/2013_campground_maps/hecla_gull_harbour.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been trying to take my kids (10 / 7 ) out too they like it so far. We go out for a short time, Usually with others so they can do other things (collect rocks eat.) and I don't fish but help them for now.... They are just casting and not really worried about if they catch or not yet. Right now it's fun so I'm hoping as the summer goes along and we get out more they will enjoy it as much as I do. Good luck, have fun! And yes I agree tons of snacks are a must.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, we weren't very successful, which wasn't necessarily a surprise given how hot it was this weekend, even already at 6:45 in the morning (I know that's still late by hardcore standards, but I was surprised we even made it there that early), but we did have a great time!

My 4yo daughter didn't catch anything, which is really too bad because she was so excited and eager to reel something in. As a result of that exciting, she just wouldn't leave her line alone.

My 2yo boy, who didn't really seem to give a hoot and ignored his rod most of the time we were there, caught a yellow perch!

Me, I didn't catch anything either, but am glad so that my daughter wasn't the only one.

(There wasn't a lot of success that morning by anybody on that pier).

At any rate, thank you everybody for the great advice/tips you provided (snacks, things to do, etc). It helped orchestrate a fun morning and enabled it to last longer than I was expecting it would!

Qapla'! (Success!)

--
Kahless

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been trying to take my kids (10 / 7 ) out too they like it so far. We go out for a short time, Usually with others so they can do other things (collect rocks eat.) and I don't fish but help them for now.... They are just casting and not really worried about if they catch or not yet. Right now it's fun so I'm hoping as the summer goes along and we get out more they will enjoy it as much as I do. Good luck, have fun! And yes I agree tons of snacks are a must.
One of the key things is to go to a place where you have a good chance at catching fish. nothing will turn the kids off like NOT catching. Lockport or garson r good spots for kids with almost guaranteed action. I am taking my boys for a few days this week to ceder lake Ontario. just north of eagle lake. For my 7 year old I will set him up with a slip bobber and leaches, kids love seeing a bobber go under... for my ten year old I will be hoping to get him his first muskie. he will use a #5 meps as its easier than the double cowgirl I will be casting. I have even allowed their ipods in the boat. I didn't want to but it does fill in the slow times between fish.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Try William or Max lake (turtle mtn PP)off the docks and it's a forage minnow with a tiny piece of worm on the hook or even just a tiny jig head with worm and we caught 84 perch in 45 mins all small and stunted but a great time for new fisher peeps!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dad started taking me fishing since i was a baby. And all we had was snacks , sandwiches
Fishing gear and tunes playing from the van

I recently found out my wife is pregnant with our son so i was excited to read this forum
To see how the other dads were teaching fishing

And i must say this.

these kids generation is ruined
By technology , and they have little appreciate for nature.
By allowing them to bring gameboys/ ipads and crap fishing you are ruining the experience of the outdoors lets not forget the sole reason we all enjoy it so much to this day is because we each saw something incrediable as a kid
Maybe an hawk,eagle,pelican grab Fish ,
Catching a big one , or just quality time spent talking with your dad , the time will past the spot may not look the same , but the memories will remain
Dads its our responsible to carry on what our fathers did for us!

·
Registered
731 Posts
My dad started taking me fishing since i was a baby. And all we had was snacks , sandwiches
Fishing gear and tunes playing from the van

I recently found out my wife is pregnant with our son so i was excited to read this forum
To see how the other dads were teaching fishing

And i must say this.

these kids generation is ruined
By technology , and they have little appreciate for nature.
By allowing them to bring gameboys/ ipads and crap fishing you are ruining the experience of the outdoors lets not forget the sole reason we all enjoy it so much to this day is because we each saw something incrediable as a kid
Maybe an hawk,eagle,pelican grab Fish ,
Catching a big one , or just quality time spent talking with your dad , the time will past the spot may not look the same , but the memories will remain
Dads its our responsible to carry on what our fathers did for us!
That's interesting... Not sure how the use of an electronic device is any different from using a radio for tunes as its pretty hard to hear that wood pecker with bonjovi rocking the lake! Also I'm sure dad brought along a camera to document the experiences you had so that makes 2 devices. Technology changes and it's up to parents to expose their kids to all sorts of different things fishing and camping etc but also to keep them up on current developments and by allowing structured access to it. I for one always have my cell phone with me as I can access a camera, tunes, compass, GPS, current weather forcasts oh and in emergencies can contact 911. It always makes me laugh when people say technology is ruining this generation because it's the same thing that has been said by every previous one. Unless your Amish take a step back and think for a second did you ride a horse to fish with a stick and some string or come in that nice air conditioned van with all the latest fishing gear? Oh ya and FYI we're conversing about this on the Internet over computers or cell phones. Not sure what you meant by "crap fishing" but fishing is hit and miss from day to day anywhere so pretty well impossible to guarantee results for newbies. Except where I mentioned previously in this thread about William lake. My son helped 3 young anglers catch their first couple fish off the dock this week and was rewarded by the father of these kids with a nice new len tomphson spoon. This he was paying forward as a teenage girl showed us the best way to catch perch there a few years ago. Was I proud of my 8 year old? You bet!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts