Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if west hawk is really worth the trip or not? I tried falcon a last week and was quite unimpressed. It was too early I know, most of what's in there has all left to spawn and eat eggs. I only found one good school on my side imaging. Besides that. I can't be the only one tired if walleye. Sometimes I'd rather fill the live well full of perch rather then walleye.

But on the the main point. Boating in west hawk. Is it worth it or not? Found a lill talk about it ice fishing. But sadly not lots on boating it.

It's been years sense I took a boat out looking for trout (cold lake alberta) (spray lakes alberta) and most crappie I've caught have just been there as I was fishing (Mostly in ont)

I'm loosing my famileys interest in fishing and I can't have that lol. So any help would be great. They need to know fishing like we do. But then again it's not like it was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
okay so im just replying because you said you are losing your families interest. i dont know about west hawk lake it self but there are smaller stalked lakes around the area. filled with trout, Rainbow, brown, splake, brook. If your wanting to get out in a boat you would need an electric motor like a trolling motor because gas is not allowed. i havent pulled out any monsters but if its about getting the family out and having a good time i would try out Lyons in a boat or off shore.

·
Registered
98 Posts
falcon fish are finicky at times. There are lots of nice fish though at falcon and if you want to target them the evening into dark is the best times.
caddy, south and north cross crappie can be caught all spring and summer. Easier to find in the early part of the season once summer comes along they are suspended and have to be hunted. I've caught a million perch just outside the tunnels on south cross with worms and bobbers. star lake has fish but seems like too many cabins and not enough water but i still manage some walleye out of there from time to time. barren lake use to be awesome for bass. I haven't caught the numbers as i have in years past but a fun lake when they are biting but gets extremely warm in the summer.
If you want to get into better fishing you're better off heading to nopiming park. lots of good lakes up there that hold a good number of fish. thats usually where I head after end of may to mid june. you want crazy numbers head to grand rapids or futher north.
Gotta work for your fish in the south. I spent 7 years in the north fishing and it was easy pickings. Down here you have to hunt for them.
Actually probably the best fishing in the south for walleye bass and pike and goldeye and sturgeon is on the winnipeg river. All kinds of great fishing spots. Same with Lake of the Woods, its probably the best fishing lake in the whiteshell / ontario area

Hard to find anyone willing to give up their honey holes unless swapped with some of you're own in return. I swapped a couple of my crappie spots for spots upstream of point and how to shoot all the rapids to get up past eaglesnest

I at one time was bad for not giving up the lake I was on but am not too overly protective anymore. I find it's the fisherman, the presentation and the spot more than the lake that makes it productive or not.

Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you mike. Yea. Honey holes are protected lol. Sometimes for good reason. Tell a good spot to one person and they might be likely to go there and fish the place out, keeping whatever they catch. I don't keep most of what I catch. Ill keep some now and then. For the most part I just like the photos. That's why Id like some trout or crappie. I haven't had either in years.

That was some great info. Thank you so much. Ill be considering everything you said in the next few days to determine my next trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts