Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TIA-305 auger. It runs like a champ but the fuel tank is leaking. I understand that finding an OEM replacement tank is likely impossible. I know it’s possible to repair, but on a tank that old it’s a matter of time before it’s leaking again. Option 2 would be retrofitting a different tank. Presumably retrofitting a different tank would not be too difficult. Has anyone retrofitted a new tank to their old Tanaka?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Scuff it up on outside of crack and use some slow set jb weld - regular or marine.
I repaired a few leaky things with that stuff and similar Devcon epoxy putty (including a garden tractor gas tank, same material) and they are still holding. Just scuff it to give it grip, and clean with alcohol before applying epoxy.

as for retrofit, i would call Yetmans and ask if they (a) have a tank in stock, or, (b) get them to direct you to a place that has parts or service for that - those tanks are avail, buddy just got his replaced. Think he got his off ebay.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is actually what I ended up doing. Soldering iron and zip tie as filler. Then epoxied over top for structure. It’ll work for now but I’m still keeping my eyes open for a new tank.

Now I evidently have to deal with carb issues. Tuned the carb yesterday, no issues. On the ice this morning, spent more time farting around with the carb than fishing. Gonna give yetmans a call on Monday. I don’t mind wrenching on 2 strokes but not when I’d rather be fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most problems can be prevented / cured by using better oil.
I think I've seen it for sale at Cummings Small Engine Repair.
The oil thing may be plausible. I switched to 40:1 premix this year to avoid using ethanol blended gas. Rumour has it Shell premium is no longer ethanol free.

But based on how it was running, I suspect a cracked fuel line/pickup and/or a vacuum leak. Definitely starving for fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts