Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a qustion for the pros and semi pros out there....
I have been using 3/8, 1/4 jigs with small spinners, glo in the dark and other colours. Green, blue and chartruese seem to be hit and miss. Live targets from time to time. My question is are there any colours or styles that you guys use as a failsafe or sure thing for the lake and river walleye? :ice:

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I'm only 1/4 pro so don't know if my answer will be any good, lol

my go to colors for jigs are pink and/or white and for Live targets I like the gold shiner

Reactions: nubote

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think you should get Collin answer this question.... he's probably the best one to ask...LOL Maybe he could let us all know on wed when he calls in to Craig's show.

Keep up the good work Collin.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
01durango said:
I think you should get Collin answer this question.... he's probably the best one to ask...LOL Maybe he could let us all know on wed when he calls in to Craig's show.

Keep up the good work Collin.
funny you say that, he told me tonite that his call in will be a good one this week, don't know what he has in store

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
macho minnows seem to work really good for me also

Reactions: wetelbows

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I have been getting some good success on the lake with the holographic perch pattern chubby darter "thanks to my good friend Steven W. for that info". The good jigs IMO would be the jitter-jig "which Bob @ Pro Am likes too" on the lake and on the river along with flasher jigs! With color on the river personally I dont think that matters but size does. You need something heavy enough to hit bottom 1/4 should do it and that all depends on what they want. I always have about 6 rods with me and they are all set up with different sizes for what the eyes feel like.
Now I cant forget mr. reliable...Live Target...These lip less baits can be deadly one day then fizzle out the next....on the lake or river! Always have a couple on hand so if you loose one you have back up!
If you like pm me and I can help you out some more!

Take care and I will see you out on the ice

Mike

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Well this requires a more detailed answer than you might expect. honestly there are days that color seems to make a big difference and it has it's place but color is the least important or last thing to consider.

first and foremost, you need to find the fish. Don't matter what you have tied on if there is no fish within 500 yards of you. With today's high powered flashers it is easy to tell when there are fish around. Personally I give a spot 20 - 30 minutes of solid line in the water fishing time. If you have not had a bite or marked a fish then it is time to move and color won't matter. However if you are marking fish and can't get them to bite you need to make a change.

Now the first thing I would do is mix it up with different presentations. Go from a rattle traps to a spoons to a jig and so on until you see what the fish are reacting to best, and change up the size of your presentation and technique, slow to fast ect before worrying about color.

once you have some action then color can make that subtle difference in your catch rates. Color does matter but it is the final step IMO.

Some good ways to test for colors is having a buddy or two using the same kind of lure but different colors. Also having different color jigs deadsticked can really help select the best color quickly.

These are observations that I have made while Ice fishing on the Lake

go to colors......I have found that it varies so much from day to day year to year that having a favorite color is almost a hindrance. Let they fish tell you what they want rather than you deciding what you want to use....however the success of some color patterns on certain waters just can't be ignored

Give me a Hi 5 if you found this helpful...lol ------->

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Seems like I have missed the mark with the pink and/or white. I do move around if the fish arent there but usually have a three year old in tow when I am on the lake or river. Runnin and gunnin is less of an option these days. But if you ever see 2 red polaris quads with an eskimo 6 and a little pink snowsuited monster (Sophia) fishing near you, please stop by and say Hi as we are sure to have cookies with us.

See you on the ice!

·
Registered
366 Posts
In the past few seasons, especially last year, the hot color for me has been pink/white. Last year i caught 80% of my fish on a pink/white rattle jig tipped with a salted minnow.

As almost everyone has said...rattle baits. Either getting fish to hit the rattle bait or using it to get fish into the area and then they might take a deadstick jig/minnow combo...they work. But like "Blackwatercats" said, you gotta change up the size and presentation of what your using. One day they might only bite something that is just sitting there, the next they want it moving. Then there are some days when it doesn't matter what you have on, they hit it....on the other hand, there are some days when it doesn't matter what you have on, and they won't even look at it. Been there for both.

Having a wide variety of colors, actions, and sizes in your tackle is going to be your best bet. Good luck this ice season.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Colins tip.......
I like to use 3/8 ounce whistler jigs best colour for me is pink yellow and my best luck on the big lake or the red river is the glow and my and my seconde choise is a yellow airplane jig. And when it comes to rattle traps the live target the salmo zipper and the new northland live forage and last the northland puppet minnow works great too hope that helped

Keep your lines tight and your hooks sharp this is Colin All Fish.

Reactions: nubote
1 - 12 of 12 Posts