Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is very important to use a form of sun protection when out there fishing! The sun has significantly more strength to it than a mere decade ago! Yesterday, I got badly burnt in the most unlikeliest and overlooked of spots, on my knee, lol. It would appear that I don't currently own a pair of jeans that doesn't have a hole in only the left knee, go figure! I am not a big fan of using sunscreen but I always wear pants and a long sleeved shirt. In addition, I use my favorite ball cap and a bandanna style face covering (see attached picture) to cover all but my face. I highly recommend it! It is made from a very thin fabric that doesn't seem to get too hot or obtrusive. I have seen other people that use a wide brimmed cowboy style hat. What other methods or devices have you found successful in combating the sun?
Face Covering.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am that guy with the wide brimmed outback hat which works well for providing shade out in the boat, and you can dip it in the lake to cool your head when it gets hot. I have to be pretty careful out in the sun as I see a dermatologist annually to deal with sun damage on my face as I am fair skinned. I have lathered the old lotion style sun screen on my face, legs, arms etc when out there in the past, however found that it always ended up stinging my eyes for most of the day and leave you feeling sticky(which is why a lot of people avoid sunscreen). There is a new product out this year Coppertone clear transparent which is way easier to apply, and dries very quickly. I have found that with it drying quickly it doesn't end up stinging my eyes like the traditional lotion style sunscreen. It goes on like hand sanitizer, dries that quickly....and offers the same protection as the lotion style. I have switched to the spray style sunscreen for arms, legs etc, goes on quick and easy, dries quickly too. I rarely end up with a sunburn after being out in the boat all day wearing swim trunks and tee shirt. Also remember to spray the tops of your feet, I have burned the top of my feet in the past while out wearing sandals......I really prefer using sun screen and being cooler out there verses covering up, but light weight fabrics available now really don't heat you up too much, I see lots of golfers out on the golf course wearing light weight white arm coverings....

Wayne
Sunscreen.JPG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yesterday, I got badly burnt in the most unlikeliest and overlooked of spots, on my knee, lol.
That brings back memories of me getting "lobster knees" after a 35c day bassing on Falcon due to holes in my jeans. :)

When possible I cover up but use sunscreen as well. I find my nose gets it worst even if a wear a hat probably due to the water and sunglasses reflection. Some hats don't protect you ears very well so sunscreen can help there as well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
worked beach patrol for many years from late high school thru university then nursing education. A good quality sunscreen reapplied frequently was effective. What saved many a patrols lips and nose from burning was zincofax. Yup. Same stuff that’s put on baby’s bottoms when they’re teething and get horrible rashes from the extremely harsh oral enzymes. a tanned face and a white nose and lips may look funny but you will only burn your nose once and you will have become educated. I also wear a wide brim hat. I don’t wear straw type hats or visors. Don’t want that sun shining through. One severe sunburn and you will find that area will always be extremely sensitive to sun not to mention the significantly increased risk of future skin cancer.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sports spray SPF 50, has to be unscented due to allergies.

Face, ears, neck have priority, then what ever else is hanging out LOL.
Hat is the most important, sunglasses with side coverage. Dress in layers, strip down to a white shirt when it gets too hot, like a roofer.
Stay hydrated, my biggest issue is overheating, I always have a wet towel I can hang over the back of my neck if needed. I'm 6' 7" tall so I'm closer to the sun than you guys:cool:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts