Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly I'll be going out to some lakes with lakers, Splake and brooks... I know summer isn't ideal time for these fish, but I'm going to try anyway. I plan to either vertical jig or deep troll spoons or worm harness... Am I the way off? Any other advice or pointers? Trout (or char in this case I suppose) are not my specialty...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Deep holes from 65-120 fow vertically jig. Basically something big and white to silver. I usually start off with a white tube jig in the 6-8 inch range. I also try dead baiting about a foot off bottom with sucker belly or Portuguese sardines if marking fish. Trolling as you mentioned seems to produce numbers but not the biggens!

·
Administrator
5,017 Posts
White or silver with red tube jig. Put a slight bend in it so it spirals when pulled up and dropped. Jig/dead stick for a few min, followed by a rapid retreive to the surface so it spirals quickly on the way up. That's what I was taught by a fellow who was a guide up north many years ago. Works well if your on them

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I recall seeing a old in fisherman video where they were doing something similar. Free spool to the bottom jig a few times, quickly retrieve a few feet, pause and repeat...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, stay tuned for an update. I'll let everyone know what I did, and my success or failure. Around here it seems everyone is all about the walleye and catfish... Sort of makes sense, with the majority of the population fishing the red and Winnipeg so often. But Manitoba has so much more. I plan to become at least familiar with most of the species we have before I die...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, as promised, my report...

Skunked. I trolled, I jigged, I set still baits... In between downpours and thunderstorms. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate for my fishing day...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey bud its your old teacher from J.P. Mr.C. What is the best week to go to gods lake in July and August. The trout fishing looks great, what about the other species? How much do you charge to guide for a day?

Love your vids, keep it up!!!

Mr. C

1 - 12 of 12 Posts