Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I will be working up north and will likely do some fishing. The place I'm going to has massive northerns caught on a regular basis. So I am thinking of getting a rod for this purpose. I have never fished for large pike before.

I have heard that the cat rods don't work super well due to the softer tip. I will likely be casting large lures repeatedly and will probably need something stiffer.

The most powerful reels I own are an Ambassadeur 5500 C3 and a Calcutta 400. They were used for cats and stuff. I would hope to not have to buy another reel.

So MFF, what rods should I be looking for? Some suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a 8ft MH St Croix Mojo Musky that has been good to me so far. Paid $160. If I had to do it again I would probably spend the extra $40 and gone with the Premier 8ft Heavy. Don't get me wrong, I like the Mojo but the Premiers are made in U.S rather than Mexico and getting the MH wasn't necessary as I have other rods for a lesser application so I would target it toward big fish... if I did it again ;)

Maybe something else to consider is travel, are you flying, driving. Do you need telescopic, 1 or 2 piece? just a thought.

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Are you shore fishing or are you going to be running and gunning in a boat? When you say large lures how large is large and are you going to want to cast all day or just an evening or couple hours here and there? These are all good things to consider as a bait caster would be ideal if you plan on going for long days and fishing from a boat as it is less strenuous casting big baits all day with a light weight bait caster rig than a spin cast rod. What is your budget is another one to consider. Realistically if you plan on doing some pile fishing mostly from shore a 7'6 medium heavy spin cast rod is fine and you will catch big pike just fine with it but if you would like to really get into pike fishing a 7'6 or 7'9 heavy bait caster is king to me personally. I have a 7'6 fenwick elite tech musky rod and a 7'9 fenwick elite tech one is medium heavy for medium sized baits and chuckin swim baits and one is heavy for big lures. Both are one piece but they used to come in 2 piece but haven't seen them this year so not sure. Pike are not extremely hard fighters and usually only give a few big runs before they are tired unlike lakers which require a more heavy setup to bring in efficiently and not exhaust the fish.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Fenwick, (Medium/Heavy) HMX 6' 10", 2 piece makes it a little easier if traveling. It's not good if your planning on pitching 10lb baits.

Quality product, at a reasonable price ... around $90.

P.S. They are not on sale at the Fishing Hole's Spring Fever sale. Not much is.
Picked (20) items at random before the 'sale' ... NOT (1) of them is on sale for this Spring Fever sale including this very rod.

Going to Pro-Am to get one.

·
Administrator
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like to get a rod high in quality per dollar. I'm probably not ready for something like G loomis but something that will last for a while and versatile. I will try to look primarily at the second hand market and check out any sales.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dont go too heavy on the rod. The weight rating of the rod should be based on the weight of the lure more so than on the potential size of the fish. For most NP's a musky rod is way overkill and will take the fun out of catching/fighting them. A med to med/heavy bass rod capable of handling 1 1/2 ozs baits with a moderate to fast action will serve you well. Your ABU reels will serve you well too.
Dont let price be the major factor in your decision, expensive rods have a lot of graphite and that means sensitivity... a NP rod doesnt need the sensitivity of say a jigging rod.
Rapala makes a suitable rod at approx $100 model WT40TR67M2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.