Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a spot to take my son (4 years old) out in Winnipeg -- now that the sun's setting earlier, we can finally get in on the dusk action before his bedtime! He's up for anything, but I was hoping to try my hand at the suckers, since they seem to bite really well this time of year. Are there any spots on the Assiniboine that have some respite from the current? Any other spots to try that aren't far from St. Boniface? I had some luck on Sturgeon Creek last year, but thought there might be something closer.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks wg666 -- and sorry for the late reply (life getting in the way). I'll have to try it out.

D-F, I generally use a slip-sinker and piece of worm or even (I hate to admit it) a pickerel rig with worms. Really, really soft bite, so they're a bit of a challenge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Harpz said:
What species is a sucker (que the sarcasm lol)
I am going to wade in on this one even though this is my first post beeing new to the forum but not to fishing.

Any one of numerous species of North American fresh-water cyprinoid fishes of the family Catostomid; so called because the lips are protrusile. The most common species of the the white sucker the hog sucker and the chub, or sweet sucker Some of the large Western species are called buffalo fish, red horse, black horse, and suckerel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven' tried much in Winnipeg, though have had some success in the west Assiniboine. Managed a couple of beauties while fishing for carp: two huge buffalo, which was a nice surprise.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
The current on the Assiniboine is still very strong. Lots of baby catfish in there right now. Suckers like nightcrawlers, but love garden worms. They bite very light sometimes so you really have to pay attention to the tip of your rod. I just catch them with pickerel rigs and crawlers in areas of the Red where the current is slack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts