Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy Wayne and I tried some a little different twice this week. We went off the Red for a bite that we have been hearing about that we thought was too good to be true. Si Sunday night we decided to give it a try. This species seems to come out only after the heat of the day disappears and more so after the sun goes down so you have much better results. Started off slow until we figured the rhythm and the proper location and depth that these species were most abundant. Once we were able find the pockets we had a blast for two hours with many doubles landed by bith of us at the same time. By one o’clock in the morning we had enough tans my clicker had said that I had landed a good 108 with many master over 14”
Though our wife’s thought we were nuts we again decided to go out again last night and see what kind of action we could get. I arrived a bit earlier and did some recon to see if I could find any active pods. It seemed like they were still spread out over a large area but for half an hour I still did pretty good with catching about 48 with a majority over 12” so the I realized the bigger ones were out tonight. Once Wayne arrived and got a gear set up were I had found the better pods we had immediate action. For the next two hours we were landing constantly two at a time each that we were just flipping them into our pails so that we could keep track and be selective. My clicker that I use nearly wore out since it was constantly trying to keep up. I am sure that we missed a lot night but we both ended up with over 500 each, and no I am not fibbing. We probably missed twice that many if we were younger and quicker but again we had a blast for two old guys. We could have stayed there for hours catching but we were worn out after two hours!!!!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
We probably missed twice that many if we were younger and quicker but again we had a blast for two old guys. We could have stayed there for hours catching but we were worn out after two hours!!!!
Next time pack a blanky and a pillow for a nap :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Who knew that the midnight bite would be so hot!!!! LOL!!! It was a lot of fun getting out with you Precious, thanks for the invite!!

Wayne

·
Registered
389 Posts
Glad you had fun! I don’t do this any more as I think at least half of the releases die, bigger Cats👍
I would think half is a very conservative estimate. They are a pretty fragile species and do not respond well to catch and release. Cats really don't need help finding their dinners. Haven't seen too many skinny under fed ones lately.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WQith the wind yesterday and the forecast for today with strong winds and the Red so close to home I decided even though my buddy Wayne was working a night shift and Johnny was already heading for bed since he had been prepping all afternoon and was leaving early in the morning for a fishing derby to give it another try. Loaded the truck up and headed out just before 10:00 pm since I was alone and had no help. Once I got to my favorite location that has been producing in the past I knew I was going to find it tough tonight. Winds had not eased off at all so even the spots off the Red the reeds where getting blown around. For the first hour I was finding it very tough and couldn't really locate any pods and it was also tough trying to stay on course with the strong gusting winds. I knew I would have to change tactics since I had only managed to land about two dozen in the first hour. They certainly were not stacked up like we could see the other night on the screen. I decided to try and move in a bit closer and hit the edges figuring the wind was possibly pushing them in. That little decision to move sure helped. I then started to notice a little movement in the sheltered banks and had steady action for the next hour and a half. Still it was not like the other night but still managed a few doubles and not as many masters as the previous outing. By 1:15 I decided I better get everything loaded up and tied down since i was bucking the wind on the way back. When I got back to the truck and packed up I looked at my clicker and realized i hadn't had a bad night after all. The last hour though it didn't seem hectic I had landed 336.
Message is sometimes it is only good to make small moves to locate the pods, they usually stay in the same area but also find it hard in the wind to stack up and are just spread out instead. Kept a few to supply us with a meal over the weekend but not likely to go out for a little while since wife's holiday are coming up soon so will be out visiting the kids with the trailer and boat in tow..

·
Registered
389 Posts
WQith the wind yesterday and the forecast for today with strong winds and the Red so close to home I decided even though my buddy Wayne was working a night shift and Johnny was already heading for bed since he had been prepping all afternoon and was leaving early in the morning for a fishing derby to give it another try. Loaded the truck up and headed out just before 10:00 pm since I was alone and had no help. Once I got to my favorite location that has been producing in the past I knew I was going to find it tough tonight. Winds had not eased off at all so even the spots off the Red the reeds where getting blown around. For the first hour I was finding it very tough and couldn't really locate any pods and it was also tough trying to stay on course with the strong gusting winds. I knew I would have to change tactics since I had only managed to land about two dozen in the first hour. They certainly were not stacked up like we could see the other night on the screen. I decided to try and move in a bit closer and hit the edges figuring the wind was possibly pushing them in. That little decision to move sure helped. I then started to notice a little movement in the sheltered banks and had steady action for the next hour and a half. Still it was not like the other night but still managed a few doubles and not as many masters as the previous outing. By 1:15 I decided I better get everything loaded up and tied down since i was bucking the wind on the way back. When I got back to the truck and packed up I looked at my clicker and realized i hadn't had a bad night after all. The last hour though it didn't seem hectic I had landed 336.
Message is sometimes it is only good to make small moves to locate the pods, they usually stay in the same area but also find it hard in the wind to stack up and are just spread out instead. Kept a few to supply us with a meal over the weekend but not likely to go out for a little while since wife's holiday are coming up soon so will be out visiting the kids with the trailer and boat in tow..
UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts