Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never targeted Sturgeon and I'm heading out Sunday with two friends and we are going to try catching them from shore.

This is what I do know:
- Pointe du Bois
- Sturgeon Falls/Nutimik
- Deep water
- Worms

The rest? No clue. I would love to catch one of these dinosaurs and am looking for some pointers: Locations, bait, presentation, etc...

Thanks!

G

·
:shock: Sturgeon from shore what!!!! That is just crazy talk.

Lol just kidding. 1st it is really late in the season to pull it off by boat not to mention shore. I think it is going to be really hard to find 30' deep holes from the shore. Not saying it is impossible but going to be really hard. All my sturgeon have been landed on a Minnow, Worm combo. At PDB where we fish for sturgeon up close to the generator station. I don't recall seeing anywhere you could fish from shore there.

Either way man I wish you the best of luck hope someone hooks you up with a spot. And if you hook into one get some video. Be very interesting to see how sturgeon are landed on shore.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Good luck in your search for a Sterjun from the shore.I have tried several times at Pt. and except for 2 pickups from a now innaccessable spot right at the powerhouse have never caught one yet.I know a couple of people who managed to land a couple at the boat launch but they were actually pickeral rigging for Walleye not the Dinos.There is one spot at Pt. that i will try next season as it's close to a favorite spot of mine in the general area we fish from the boat.Hope to see a picture of your fish after the weekends done.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oy ve... This is sounding discouraging... Maybe we should stick looking for walleye?

G

·
Hey man shoot me that PM as well. I have never heard of it being done before other then the occasional accident at the docks like Bruther said.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So we made it out to nutimik and hiked it to sturgeon falls -which have seemingly disappeared due to the low water - and rigged up for sturgeon.

After an hour of nothing we switched gear and caught a whole bunch of fish... About 10 eyes, a sauger, a couple of pike, a couple of huge suckers and a beauty 17 inch smallmouth bass. All in all, a good day out at nutimik!

Had a really good supper too!

G

·
Way to be prepared to make the best of it. I always fault in that department. I go out geared for one thing and if that one thing shows no love I have a bad day.

WTG you got any pics?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts