Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Guys

That magical time of year has come around again, and this old Pennsylvania geezer is about to head for the Great White North for the 179th time after an imposed hiatus of two years. We are headed for NE Manitoba, over near where the border zags toward Hudson Bay. From what I can gather, the waters will be high, but with recent warming, the water temps might be about normal for the time of year. I will start with looking for warmer water and current, and then play it by ear. Hopefully, the spawn cycle follows its normal patterns as well, and we will be there at the exact right time. As a public service, please alert all walleye that they could be in great jeopardy starting next week....just sayin'.

I am struck by the irony that added to two years of missed fishing, and sorely missed income by outfitters, inflation, and WWIII, that the weather gods have also given us flooding, snow, and colder temps. Is this some sort of plot? Fishing in Manitoba has become such a part of my life, that I am worried about how many more hits our outfitters can handle. I don't know how many outfitters may have been priced out of the market, but I don't know how any business can go two years without income. It's a damned shame! Don't even get me started on global warming!

Getting across the border seems to have become even more of a hassle than usual, and this ApplyCAN thing I find very unwelcoming and intimidating (as an admitted technophobic). I know this is much more about the government than the rural Canadian people, who I have come to know and love as kindred spirits across many years. I am so old I can remember when you could just drive across the border, and they would ask you where you were going fishing, and would be interested in your trip and would even give you fishing tips. Wish me luck at the border!

I have made some good friends on this forum, some of whom I already knew, and am grateful for this association. I wish each and every one of you a great, memorable year on these sacred waters.

Tight lines.

Doc

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dear Guys

That magical time of year has come around again, and this old Pennsylvania geezer is about to head for the Great White North for the 179th time after an imposed hiatus of two years. We are headed for NE Manitoba, over near where the border zags toward Hudson Bay. From what I can gather, the waters will be high, but with recent warming, the water temps might be about normal for the time of year. I will start with looking for warmer water and current, and then play it by ear. Hopefully, the spawn cycle follows its normal patterns as well, and we will be there at the exact right time. As a public service, please alert all walleye that they could be in great jeopardy starting next week....just sayin'.

I am struck by the irony that added to two years of missed fishing, and sorely missed income by outfitters, inflation, and WWIII, that the weather gods have also given us flooding, snow, and colder temps. Is this some sort of plot? Fishing in Manitoba has become such a part of my life, that I am worried about how many more hits our outfitters can handle. I don't know how many outfitters may have been priced out of the market, but I don't know how any business can go two years without income. It's a damned shame! Don't even get me started on global warming!

Getting across the border seems to have become even more of a hassle than usual, and this ApplyCAN thing I find very unwelcoming and intimidating (as an admitted technophobic). I know this is much more about the government than the rural Canadian people, who I have come to know and love as kindred spirits across many years. I am so old I can remember when you could just drive across the border, and they would ask you where you were going fishing, and would be interested in your trip and would even give you fishing tips. Wish me luck at the border!

I have made some good friends on this forum, some of whom I already knew, and am grateful for this association. I wish each and every one of you a great, memorable year on these sacred waters.

Tight lines.

Doc
Have a great trip old friend.
Norm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts