Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Been a long time sense I posted. So I thought I'd ask about catching some minnows. I've tried a few times in places like Sturgon creek and around the red with my minnow trap but all I managed to get was a crayfish and a few stickelbacks. I've baited with crackers, chips cheese and even cat food. I just don't think I've been looking in the right places. Sure would like to find some.
Anyway. Happy fishing and good luck.
Joe

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I read somewhere that gum was a good bait. I forgot about that till you said it.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Going to assume your killing them and not transporting them... Creeks will produce a few here and there at times, but your better off to find a small pond or dugout to try and trap them in... Use google to see what other guys use for bait, I make my own, it pretty simple, or just get a can of dog food and poke a few holes in it and away you go!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
well the trick around hear is no bait in the trap , it makes a mess . i use florescent golf balls ( practice balls ) orange or white , the minnows are attracted to the glowing , once you get a couple in the trap it draws others fast. now i am moving live minnows so i dont want all that crap to deal with ( bait ) . now creeks and streams are not a good place to get volume, try small lakes or sloughs and most of the bait will be fat heads / stickle backs. but there are lakes around that just produce fatheads/chubs. p.m me if you want a 5 gallon pail or more. but they will have to be frozen . unless you have a retail bait license to sell live.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you freze them your going to want shiners. Spot tails and emerald. Salt them and add a dash of formaldahyde. MaCarthur Falls, L Winnipeg, Twin Beaches. As for live trapping chub or fatheads....not supposed to do that as move them live.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts