Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend spots with water clear enough for spearfishing? I am going mostly for Walleye and looking for spots where a river flows into a lake (rapids). I have tried Jessica and Big Whiteshell but the water was way too murky to see any fish. West Hawk has great visibility but mostly see Smallies (which are not allowed to be speared). So if anyody can recommend lakes/rivers (preferably in the Whiteshell region) where you know the water is clear, please share. Thanks !

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can tell you where it's not clear.... The Mighty Red.... Lol.

Honestly, I can't help you. You'll just have to try spots until you find one that works.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You can spear fish for channel cats on the red if you are a really good swimmer, and can see through all the sediment in the river, but not smallies on a clear lake in the white shell, yet small mouth an introduced species.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've often wondered why I can spear fish for such a great number of species, yet I can only get suckers and carp bow fishing. Both methods involve killing fish with a pointy stick, and you can use rubber band a pneumatic spear guns, so you can't tell me it's an equipment difference.

Some rules were just meant to make no sense and never be understood...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Agreed. If you could keep it and eat it angling, you should be able to keep it and eat it any other method.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spearfish at Child's lake in the Duck Mountains quite a bit. There are nice weed beds past the buoys at the main beach and in the South bay at seasonal camping. Lots of northerns and perch hover close to the top if the weeds. You will also get the odd walleye and sucker coming in as well. If you are in to scuba diving, I would reccommend going down to a depth of 35-50 feet straight north of the main beach. The bottom is loaded with burbot and there is no limit on them. I can usually spear 10-20 each dive. There is actually a spear fishing tournament on up there this weekend.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you are looking for clear water in the Whiteshell, try Falcon or Westhawk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts