Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the "proper" way to attach snelled hooks to pickerel rigs?

I've only ever bought the pre-made p-rigs from Canadian Tire and Cabela's where the hooks aren't attached to the spreaders in the package. To attach them, I used a girth hitch. I've caught a few baby jack and they didn't break, but I'm wondering if there's a better way?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Not that I have found, girth hitch seems the way to go. I do make sure to pull it up tight when first set up, and run it till there are too many kinks or twists.

Sometimes I use those red hooks with the extra bend on them for better hook ups, those I tie my own lines on, but they tangle bad in currents. So for the most part I just go factory 50 cent specials, and a girth hitch.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
What's the "proper" way to attach snelled hooks to pickerel rigs?

I've only ever bought the pre-made p-rigs from Canadian Tire and Cabela's where the hooks aren't attached to the spreaders in the package. To attach them, I used a girth hitch. I've caught a few baby jack and they didn't break, but I'm wondering if there's a better way?
Throw them in the garbage.....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bruther
IMHO they should be banned!!!!!Toss in trash ASAP!!!

You got me, what do you think is better, would really like to know.:smile:

P.S. I just started switching over to Lindy rigs, so wondering if that is what you think is better?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Lindy rigs are much better. Any slip sinker type setup (catfish rig) will do much the same job the way most folks use pickerel rigs, and they don't leave tangled rats nests of 50lb mono all over the bottom of the lake....

·
Registered
659 Posts
P rigs have thier place. If you're going to use them.
Step one: Toss the hooks that come with them. Use your own. I recommend circle hooks.
Step two: tie the weight on with an elastic. I use those rainbow loom things. This way if it snags you lose the weight and not the whole rig.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Step one: Toss the hooks that come with them. Use your own. I recommend circle hooks.
Step two: tie the weight on with an elastic. I use those rainbow loom things. This way if it snags you lose the weight and not the whole rig.
Not too many snelled circle hooks out there. You snell them yourself? What size do you use?

Great idea with the elastic!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I tie my own all the time. Much cheaper in the long run and a smell is pretty easy to tie.

As for a place for pickerel rigs, I agree. Once in a blue moon they are useful. But I also stated how most people use them, a slip sinker rig would serve them better.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newbie Alert

All this time, I thought a snelled hook meant it was on a leader with a loop at the end for easy changes.

Googling a bit... You use a perfection knot for the loop?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You can.... Sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I'll just double back the leader and the ie an overhand knot with both parts. Seems to hold up well enough. Often I'll use a barrel swivel on the free end.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You guys always make me laff with all the Pickerel Rig hate

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong. The rig does have its place, it's just not casting fifty feet out into a rocky bottom with a ten ounce weight, getting snagged and cutting your fifty feet of 100lbs test mono off to do it again...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The p rig is hated so much mostly because of its cheap quality which leads it to be bought in bulk by the white pail brigade who proceed to break of thousands of them a year, leaving the bottom of the river littered in a baited and hooked net of super strong monofilament line...

·
Registered
74 Posts
The p rig is hated so much mostly because of its cheap quality which leads it to be bought in bulk by the white pail brigade who proceed to break of thousands of them a year, leaving the bottom of the river littered in a baited and hooked net of super strong monofilament line...
That ^^

And they become a death trap for any fish that then proceeds to swallow the still baited hooks and become tethered to the bottom, as illustrated by the picture I posted above.

Seriously. Screw these rigs.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I know this weekend I am starting with a slip sinker rig (Lindy rig) with a one once weight and a floating jig head. The two other guys will be on pickerel rigs, so we will see who changes up if the bite starts. We don't often loose pickerel rigs as we fish vertical in a strong current from a boat, but I know the rivers and lakes are polluted from shore fishing with them.
I sure wish a release of the weight system would be manufactured into them, at least that way only the snagged weigh is lost.
If I ever have to shore fish again I think I will tie my weight on with some light line, I thank all who brought up the issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts