Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to fishing. Recently, I tried fishing from shore but found myself getting snagged and breaking my line a lot. I tried using pickerel rigs and jig spinners and ended up breaking my line and losing the lures.

What am I doing wrong? I am using a medium power rod with fast action with a rated line weight of 6-12lb. For line I am using the Power Pro 15lb test microfilament braided fishing line.

Can anyone suggest a good setup for fishing from shore? For example, I had used a leader with a pickerel rig and a weight or a leader with a jig spinner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Snags are a part of shore fishing, especially on the Red. Long rod, heavy line, special weights will help. Lots of YouTube videos that will give you much more info then can be found here.
Good luck!

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Use enough weight so that the current doesn't drag your weight. The more your weight drags the greater the likelihood of snagging.

When retrieving I like to sharply lift the rig like a hookset and reel fast with the rod tip high. This should keep the rig off the bottom as much as possible.

In the end, the Red will always claim a few rigs though.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like others are saying, I find that using enough weight that the rig won’t drift helps a lot, as well as reeling in fast with the rod tip high. Switching to primarily shore fishing was a bit of a learning curve for me, too. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snags are a part of shore fishing, especially on the Red. Long rod, heavy line, special weights will help. Lots of YouTube videos that will give you much more info then can be found here.
Good luck!
Could you share the links to the YouTube videos that you are referencing? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I am new to fishing. Recently, I tried fishing from shore but found myself getting snagged and breaking my line a lot. I tried using pickerel rigs and jig spinners and ended up breaking my line and losing the lures.

What am I doing wrong? I am using a medium power rod with fast action with a rated line weight of 6-12lb. For line I am using the Power Pro 15lb test microfilament braided fishing line.

Can anyone suggest a good setup for fishing from shore? For example, I had used a leader with a pickerel rig and a weight or a leader with a jig spinner.

Thanks!
On old-timer taught me this trick. Use a rubber band between the pickeral rig and your weight. The rubber band will break when a snag happens and you can use the pickeral rig again. Hope this helps

·
Registered
243 Posts
On old-timer taught me this trick. Use a rubber band between the pickeral rig and your weight. The rubber band will break when a snag happens and you can use the pickeral rig again. Hope this helps
Unless you snagged your hook.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
Hello,

Thanks!
Unless you snagged y
Ca
Hello,

Thanks!
One tip I can give is . Cast out and wait ! Dont keep reeling in and checking your bait . Fish will find your live bait or minnow .

·
Registered
451 Posts
LOL, in the old days of rubber bands we also used old lug nuts instead of buying lead weights. Nowdays neither are legal. Now lug nuts are too expensive.

·
Registered
245 Posts
when I used to fish shore, i like my 8-9ft rod medium heavy (target mainly walleye using pickerel rig).. 25lbs test braid and i dont use those pre package pickerel rigged and hooks.. i will made my own using same 25lbs test but either in mono or floro, i had luck with those cannon ball weights (give you more chance to pull on it with breaking).. after casting you need your line basically parallel to you, so you need enough weight in order to not drift, when current flowing cast at 45degree in the direction of the current, by the time your weight sinks, you're line will be parallel to your rod.. if you know you are in snag section, dont always pull your line, only pull it when you have a bite

1 - 11 of 11 Posts