Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on where i can target some smallmouth or crappie. Closer to the city the better. I want to sink into my first ever smallmouth or crappie bite and catch and cross it off my species list.

Ive been to many lakes this year mainly northern manitoba,western,falcon lake, but nothing but pike. Literally the only type of fish ive caught this summer (and the staple catfish and drum)haha.

Dont need honey holes or anything just a place that has em regularly. Side note ive been to seven sisters and whitemouth park all pike there too.

Usually rocking a crankbait or jerkbait and topwaters.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Fishing from shore limits to where you want to go to catch just smallmouth and crappie.
Have you tried for Smallmouth around the bridges that cross Lac du bonnet, Lee River or the Winnipeg River towards Pinnawa. Fair amount of rock structure and a few weeds and areas that you can move around and cover a larger area. As for Crappie I would almost say that you will out of luck for most areas. If you have been to the Whiteshell lakes Star , Barren and Caddy and not have caught of shore I would say you are out of luck though Lake Minnewasta has Crappie but I have not fished around there. You might get a few incidental ones fishing with a bobber around the Lee River Bridge as it seems the Crappie population has shot up there in the past few years. Other areas that hold Crappie would be some of the creeks and smaller rivers that lead into the Red River

·
Administrator
1,403 Posts
If you want a smallmouth that's close to the city that has good shore access, consider the Lafarge Pits. You can pretty much explore the entirety of the shoreline by foot. At least there are no pike in there.

The only problems with that place is that it can be very crowded and the fish are under a lot of pressure. It can be a real test of your sanity and skill. I personally don't fish there for bass anymore but it's an option.

As for crappie it might not be so easy from shore in the summer. I've never caught a crappie from shore ever so I can't really help with that.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I love smallies from shore. I would start throwing various jig and plastic combinations. Smallies love little jigs with twister tails or a plastic minnow...

But of course they also love cranks, so have multiple options on hand...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That's off a favorite rock pile of the northern Whiteshell. Mostly smaller and med size ones on this day...11" to 14" but still so much fun to catch.

My biggest is 18" a few seasons ago...

Keep in mind that time of day is important too. You need to be out there at first light and fish for three or four hours because the SM bite from shore will drop off typically at 9:30 or 10am. Look for a shadowed shorelines with exposed boulders and rocks that don't see much sun until after 8am as well.
Don't fish with the sun in your eyes, and wear polarized sunglasses so you can see through the water.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
man thanks for the awesome info i appreciate it! ill be searching for that first smallie! thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts