Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In progress, but here's what we got done on day 1.

Pressure treated 4x6's and 3/4" plywood.

Lots of glue.

We couldn't find piano hinge and wanted to keep building so just a few heavy hinges for now, we'll probably add some piano hinge in between later.

Inside floor area is 6' 2" x 16' 3.5". It will have 2 folding walls and a tarp.

Folds up to fit right in trailer. Quad will drive right on top. We're hoping this all works out without the tarp inside getting chewed up. Skis will be covered either with metal or some sort of plastic/ nylon. The double hinge will allow the 1/2" plywood walls and tarp to fit between.

Mr. Quad better get his winter boots on pretty soon to tow this thing!

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Remember to always put it up on blocks once in place. And move it often. That's the only way to keep it from freezing in slush whether from drilling holes or snow accumulation.

Need photos of the complete project to wrap my head around the way it's supposed to look.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This actually isn't a permi, it'll be coming off the lake every day. We'll pull it out with the quad, folded up and used as a trailer for our gear. On each end there will be walls on hinges and they'll be rounded at the top. They'll go up 6 feet then round out. A tarp will be attached all along the floor and up the walls. The walls will be propped up with poles, holding the tarp tight from end to end. Then the walls and tarp fold inward when packing up. Setup will be quick and we'll mark the holes with a chisel, then slide the shack out of the way to drill... I plan to leave the slush around the holes then slide the shack back over, then we'll insert bottomless buckets into the hole in the floor to seal it up.

What I'm wondering, is if propping the walls up as planned will be strong enough if the wind decides to really gust from the side, which will be all tarp. Maybe we'll need something in the middle?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Killer looking "Portable" :D Have seen a few of these over the years in various sizes.Best option to hold it open is to use 3 poles running the full length of the shack.1 dead center and the other 2 top corner

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
big bruther said:
Killer looking "Portable" :D Have seen a few of these over the years in various sizes.Best option to hold it open is to use 3 poles running the full length of the shack.1 dead center and the other 2 top corner
That's what I was thinking, but at 16' long we'd have to hinge two 8' 2x4s... They can go in the trailer and even fit under the shack while transporting to the lake. Unless.... telescopic poles....

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup that's my Dad's garage. He does like to get deals at PA... he was there looking at heaters and he talked to you. I didn't know you worked there until he told me that.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Andre' neither can I!

Alright, new and exciting developments! Day 2.

The hinges didn't come in yet, but we still got a fair bit done today.

Bit 'O PL Premium on a 1x2 or 1x3(?).

This is just a piece glued and screwed above the doorway holding a 4' and a 2' section together. 1x2s/1x3s(?) are notched out and used on each side of each wall to cover the other couple inches.

Dad picked up these thick tent type poles, they work perfect for this- we'll sew ties to the tarp that will hold these in place as they bow the walls out for tons of elbow room. Floor to ceiling clearance- 92.5".

The arch of the walls will match the inside arch of the poles so that the walls will cause the tarp to pull down a bit on the poles, bulging and tightening them a bit.

Door height- 6'.

Bottomless pales fit snug; inserted during setup. Two of the holes will have small holes right beside them, about 3" across, for transducers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
hope your quad can pull it. might get a little tough in deeper snow.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, should be okay. In one of the pictures you'll see the trailer that we're putting it in... Last year we pulled that trailer out with all our gear and 2-3 people inside, and the whole axel, wheels, and wheel wells were dragging in the snow. The quad pulled a bit hard, but wasn't too bad at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow what a project. Moving along quite well too. We better not see a lazy boy and bigscreen next :shock:

Good job. Looking forward to seeing final result.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still awaiting your check to cover the cost of the Satellite dish, BB...

The 'Shackillac' is nearing completion. We had some trouble with the tent poles breaking (They were too long/ we made the tarp too tight.) and one of the poles that we were going to use to hold up the walls broke too, so we'll just be using some conduit, and we trimmed the tent poles.

Rounded off the end of each ski.

The material on the middle ski actually had to be cut off at the top of the 4x6 so the door could open.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts