Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I always wanted to do was to go for fall muskies, which I've never done before. While summer is warmer and the days are longer, watching big muskies follow can be pretty demoralizing. Late fall kind of seems a little mentally easier, except for dealing with the cold.

So for a few days I stayed at Crawfords Camp. This was my first time ever on a big LOTW trip. The owner Matt and his staff were very helpful in terms of giving advice. Cabins were decent for the price and we could park the boat right in front of the cabin. I feel like these NWO businesses could really use local support especially since American clients can't come.

As this was my first time trying to troll, it took a little bit of time to figure out what depths worked and how to keep the baits in the zone. Tried Believers, Jakes, Grandmas and Headlocks. Fortunately I had the Ontario Lakemaster v2 chip that made things a lot easier to stay in the consistent depths. We mostly looked for baitfish suspended near points. Definitely snagged a lot in the rocks. Water temperature ranged from 47° to 53°.

For the first couple days it seemed like we didn't know what we were doing. No muskies were caught, though quite a few pike were caught. These pike were quite large as they ranged from 30" to 40" with thick girths. It's pretty exciting when the rod bends over and the clicker is going crazy. Occasionally we would fish for walleye to give ourselves a mental break from endless trolling and get our dinner. Some decent smallmouth action was accident found.

Finally after a few days of fishing, we finally managed to get into musky. They definitely were larger and fought harder than pike. Overall we landed 3 muskies total which I would say isn't too bad for my first trolling outing.

One of those muskies was my biggest ever. At first I thought I had a snag as the rod seemed bent on dead weight. The only thing that felt off was that my depth showed 30' when my crank was running at around 20'. As with all snags I let the line loose and tried shaking the lure free. After driving the boat to the other side of the "snag" I started feeling headshakes. We landed the giant muskie which had an enormous girth. Tried to get a decent measurement but I felt that the fish was too stressed and it had to be released quickly. It definitely measured over 50" for sure.

For the remaining days we still musky fished mostly but after the pressure was off we decided to go for crappies for half a day. After the incredibly mind numbing muskie trolling crappie fishing felt like a drug. Tons of crappies were caught with the biggest one around 14". We managed to fill limits to take home. Couldn't really find any more muskies though we did get several more big pike.

Overall I would definitely go back to LOTW and fish for musky again. It's definitely a very good place for multispecies and a good change of scenery while being close to Winnipeg.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly wished that I had a few more days. Personally while fishing for other species is very good, I felt like most of my time had to be devoted to musky as they are very difficult and as a Toban we can already do most of those species at home anyways.

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely give it a try. I started fishing muskies this year and it's really not as intimidating as it seems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts